Really, how difficult is tolex'ing an amp?

Thinking about a Katana-100 for the livingroom as a combination 'cheap amp to bring wherever' and 'can play quietly without annoying the wife' instrument - but black and silver isn't exactly livingroom decor!  I've really fallen in love with the tweed/brown grille cloth look - just wondering how much of a pig it would be to  do that to a Katana?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28174
    I did a cab I made myself. It wasn't mad-tricky; the corners are the bit that takes longest to get right.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    With tweed you want the lines to be straight and line up too, its not too hard if you have patience and time, stripping the katana and getting ready is the most laboursome part, and it is probably an MDF cab, so you might be better/quicker just building a new cab from scratch. There are load of tutorials online about covering cabs
  • With tweed you want the lines to be straight and line up too, its not too hard if you have patience and time, stripping the katana and getting ready is the most laboursome part, and it is probably an MDF cab, so you might be better/quicker just building a new cab from scratch. There are load of tutorials online about covering cabs
    Yep seems to be relatively thin MDF - understood. I'm glad it's not a herculean task, some rather dramatic forum posts have made it seem like the devil's work.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    What about Vinyl Paint if you just want a more Front Room friendly colour ?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    If you can get the old covering off in one piece it makes a good cutting template for the new bit
  • Thinking about a Katana-100 for the livingroom as a combination 'cheap amp to bring wherever' and 'can play quietly without annoying the wife' instrument - but black and silver isn't exactly livingroom decor!  I've really fallen in love with the tweed/brown grille cloth look - just wondering how much of a pig it would be to  do that to a Katana?

I think I have enough grille cloth for a tweed amp if you want it? And probably enough Blonde Tolex depending on size of amp, I'm not sure about size of Katana. 
  • Thinking about a Katana-100 for the livingroom as a combination 'cheap amp to bring wherever' and 'can play quietly without annoying the wife' instrument - but black and silver isn't exactly livingroom decor!  I've really fallen in love with the tweed/brown grille cloth look - just wondering how much of a pig it would be to  do that to a Katana?

I think I have enough grille cloth for a tweed amp if you want it? And probably enough Blonde Tolex depending on size of amp, I'm not sure about size of Katana. 
    That would be extremely kind of you  -PM'ed. @WezV  good call on that!

@sweepy that could be a good shout, but half the interest is that tweed pattern, a nice wooden stand, etc. to make it fit nicely - we'll see!"