Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I like the Tiny Terror

What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
Flame suit on!

I'm on my third Terror now, started with the standard head, then I had the dark Terror. Recently I picked up a used Terror combo with the H30, it's bloody marvellous, it delivers tones that it really shouldn't and it's a dream to transport!! 

Lets hear your Terror stories, the gigs and tours you've done with Oranges best seller. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I turned one on once ... at a gig cos my amp died. I listened to the Terror and turned it off again and fixed my amp :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    timmysoft said:

it delivers tones that it really shouldn't
    I would agree with that :).

To be fair, it probably sounds better with the H30 than most other speakers, since they're quite deep and clear, which is the opposite of the amp...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    It sounds marginally better than the Micro-Terror.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Sassafras said:
    It sounds infinitely better than the Micro-Terror.
    FTFY

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    I tried one at a rehearsal studio.

The rest of the band started laughing and asked me if it was broken.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    I gigged a dark terror for a year or so. Found it to be very thick sounding, great in a one guitar band, but I couldn't get a good lead tone out of it. Just about loud enough though for a twatty drummer with no dynamics.
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    edited August 2017
    I had one and liked it a lot, I used it with a small 1x12 containing a Marshall / Celestion Vintage speaker and enjoyed just plugging a Strat straight into it and controlling everything from the guitar, mostly clean to light overdrive sounds. Actually I still own it as my son has it and it would come back to me if I ever needed it. I don't get the dislike from some quarters, maybe it's the heavier sounds people don't like it for? Taught me a lot about using a really simple set up.
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • Gigged my Tiny Terror head for approx a year with ExAd, as you probs already know Tim.  Anyway, through a 412 it could just about keep up.  Miced up through a big PA though, sounded phenomenal (Lifestyles Festival in Hunstanton, 2014?). Took a delay quite well, struggled to find a decent boost for it so just used the gtr volume control.....controversial or what?! Loved it, would defo have another
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969 said:
    I turned one on once ... at a gig cos my amp died. I listened to the Terror and turned it off again and fixed my amp :)
    That's exactly my experience. Then sold it and bought an ehx 22. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    There's just an immediacy and direct feeling when playing a TT, the only other amps I've ever got that with would be the jcm800 and the cornford RK, it's a hard thing to put into words but it just works with my more percussive style.
  • I don't much like them, but the concept is amazing and it did help spawn a whole slew of mini amps. 

I did absolutely love the slipknot signature one - huge amounts of gain on tap, thick sludgy riffs to tight thrash on the tone knob and cleaned up beautifully with the volume knob on the guitar. Nothing like the tiny terror really! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I loved my dual terror. Could really get it cooking in a big pub unmicd scinario. Made a mini stack out of 2 1x12s.
    I don't much like them, but the concept is amazing and it did help spawn a whole slew of mini amps. 

I did absolutely love the slipknot signature one - huge amounts of gain on tap, thick sludgy riffs to tight thrash on the tone knob and cleaned up beautifully with the volume knob on the guitar. Nothing like the tiny terror really! 
    I get pretty decent clean up, it won't go from super filth to sparkles the volume knob but it'll certainly go less hairy!! 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Never used a real one but I use the amp model on amplitube quite often.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited August 2017
    ^are the amplitube models similar to how they really sound? If so they're not my cup of tea! Never actually played one myself though. I've always liked this video of the Dual Terror, sounds good to me..

• timmysoft said:
    I don't much like them, but the concept is amazing and it did help spawn a whole slew of mini amps. 

I get pretty decent clean up, it won't go from super filth to sparkles the volume knob but it'll certainly go less hairy!! 

I tried it with a home made strat (vintage style pickups) and a les paul... Er... Lpj? It cleaned up to almost completely clean on the les paul and sparkled on the strat, I loved it. 

I don't do heavy music as much these days so I wound up shopping for a vox style amp, but I nearly got it. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    The Dual Terror is a lovely amp, especially considering the size, weight and price.
  • I've never used a Tiny Terror but I liked the Dual Terror enough that it was high up on the shortlist when I was looking for an amp a few years ago.  Plenty of people seem to get a good sound out of the TT though - I don't understand the loathing.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I've got one of the first ones they made, I love it! I run mine through a Matchless 4x10 cab with aged greenbacks and it sounds superb. I set it to just breaking up and use the volume on the guitar to clean it up. I used it Wednesday night at rehearsal and we had a conversation about how much money I'd spent on 'boutique' amps over the years (Lazy J, Matchless, Bad Cat, Top Hat etc) and how much the Terror cost and the fact that it's seen most of them off. I don't get the hate for them at all.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    miserneil said:
    I've got one of the first ones they made, I love it! I run mine through a Matchless 4x10 cab with aged greenbacks and it sounds superb. I set it to just breaking up and use the volume on the guitar to clean it up. I used it Wednesday night at rehearsal and we had a conversation about how much money I'd spent on 'boutique' amps over the years (Lazy J, Matchless, Bad Cat, Top Hat etc) and how much the Terror cost and the fact that it's seen most of them off. I don't get the hate for them at all.
    I really rate the terrors, I think they sound better through openback cabs, the voicing is a bit congested and confused when using fully closed cabs,