Sticky Putty for Piezo Pick Up

Any suggestions, I saw video where I guy slapped a glob of putty on a  piezo  pick up and proceeded  to  stick it to various instruments but I couldn't make out what he called it.  Ultimately I want to attach it to the inside of a cigar box guitar.  Is crazy gluing it directly good?  I'm new at this.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    Superglue is the best - it's strong, hard and transmits the vibrations better than softer glue or putty. It may be tricky to reach inside a cigar box guitar though… you may need to use a stick with blue-tac on the end to position it and press it on. which can take some practice.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Double sides mirror tape? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72331
    sawyer said:
    Yes, that works fairly well - the thinner the better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    ICBM said:
    sawyer said:
    Yes, that works fairly well - the thinner the better.
    Tried a couple of methods when attaching a couple of piezos to an old archtop. In the end I went with double sided foam pads, as they were not only easy to remove if needed but that thin level of insulation took the top end zing off the piezo and made the pickup sound  better (to my ear). Might be worth trying a few of the reversible options first, seeing if you like what you hear before going full on for the superglue?
  • I ended up using thin double side tape and a thick piece of foam to give it extra hold.  Access was easy, this is a home build and cigar boxes have a lid.  It sounds surprisingly good plugged in, a boost pedal brought the level up pretty much enough.  The jack is on the back edge below the broom handle end and can't be seen in this pic.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay