Best clean amp for £300?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3865
Asking for a friend. Any tips? Katana? I remember @ICBM saying something about Jet City amps?

Ideally:
  • 1x12 combo
  • Loud enough for rehearsals and pub gigs
  • Good clean sound only needed (overdrive, reverb etc. will be handled by multi-effects unit)
  • Main guitar used: strat
  • Music played: Indie rock 
Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    If you are lucky a 2nd hand Hot Rod Deluxe
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Peavey Bandit or Special. Absolutely reliable, loud, big bold clean sound, and you could easily buy two for £300… they more normally sell for around £100.

I did briefly think of selling my Special in a clear-out recently, but I've come to my senses :).

Second choice would probably be a Laney World Series, I think they did a 120W 1x12", but if not then whatever the model below that is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Do you mean the Peavey special? They sis a 130 version??
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Jetfire said:
    Do you mean the Peavey special? They sis a 130 version??
    Yes. There are several models, from the early-80s 120W 1x12" I have, via a couple of different 130W 1x12"s, to more recent 2x12"s.

The 1x12"s are compact, heavy, astoundingly loud and built like a nuclear bunker. Probably the loudest clean 1x12" I know of apart from a MkI Boogie… although there is the very rare Rivera-series Fender Showman (solid-state) which is 200W with an EVM speaker, and might beat both of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I had a 1 x 12 before (and someone lost it) and it was amazingly heavy... but i do have access to one so may have to give it a whirl as its been 200 years since i played one last
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    A couple of weeks ago there was an almost new Hot Rod on Ebay for £400 ... so a friend contacted the buyer and offered him £360 cash which he accepted the deal was done. Amp looks brand new, tattier ones go for less there are good deals out there
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Laney LC30 or LC50. 
  • There is a Fender Hotrod Deluxe just turned up on one of the Facebook groups. It's a MK3 priced up at £300. Absolute bargain. It's on this Group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/guitarexchange/?fref=nf

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I'd get him to at least try a Katana and see if he likes the sound of it. If so, all the bells and whistles that come with it are an added bonus.

I like that mine basically functions as a spare pedal board if ever my power supply dies at a gig. 
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    Katana 100 1x12
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12317
    Peavey Renown, one for sale on gumtree near me (Manchester) for £90.I had one in the 90's, loud as balls. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"