catalinbread montavillian

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
I just picked one of these up as part of a trade and they seem quite good as a straight into the front of an amp delay. 

Are there any other users on here?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Tried it tonight at practice and it's done the unthinkable and knocked my DD3 off my board. 

It doesn't have a massive amount of functionality and that's not a problem to me. It does however have a useful function of making the delay cut through. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Catalinbread seem to have a knack for making stuff that works well into the front of an amp and doesn't need an effects loop to sound good.  I have their Talisman reverb which does the same and from what I've read,  the Belle Epoch and Echorec do too.

Enjoy your Montavillian!

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Just Nick  (you tube) loves this pedal.
    Shame it is now discontinued.
    Assume it is because of IC shortage?
    Enjoy!!
    JonHosker said:
    Just Nick  (you tube) loves this pedal.
    Shame it is now discontinued.
    Assume it is because of IC shortage?
    Enjoy!!
    I did wonder why it had been discontinued? 
  • I had one and liked it, but chopped it out because of the lack of trails.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Beexter said:
    Catalinbread seem to have a knack for making stuff that works well into the front of an amp and doesn't need an effects loop to sound good.  I have their Talisman reverb which does the same and from what I've read,  the Belle Epoch and Echorec do too.
    I hadn't even realised this but I think you're right.  (I've got a Belle Epoch and an Echorec going into the front of a CR120. Works great.)
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    edited September 2017
    I've got a Talisman, and I had a Belle Epoch which I traded for an Echorec, which I still have. The trade was entirely out of idle curiosity, not because I didn't like the Belle. I loved it, and I love the Echorec just as much, although they do different things. All 3 are brilliant and Catalinbread are my desert island pedal company! D They give good delay.
  • I think the OP has sold it since his post.
    @victorludorum I have. I got the opportunity to get a good deal on a Deep Blue Delay. I've been after one for a while so I jumped at the chance. 

Glad I did too!
  • The world of delay is a bloody nightmare, isn't it!? I've had a few, but I can't get too excited about the tiny differences between them to be honest. I recently managed to get a great deal on an old Chandler rack unit, and to my cloth ears it sounds great. Obviously it's a rack though, so not at all gig friendly, which is a bigger priority for you I imagine. It doesn't do trails either, but that isn't really a problem as I only plan to use it for recordings. My DD-7 does a stellar job for the tiny number of gigs that I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    I bet the rack unit sounds fantastic though? 

The issue i had in my search for delay is that all of them that I tried, up to the DBD seemed to add something to the sound. It almost sounded a little modulated. What I wanted was a transparent delay that just sits in the mix and sounds good into the front of the amp. 

I know that the reality is that nobody will notice at gigs and when we record I use the studios delays but it was just something that irritated me about my sound. 

It really is the small stuff here and personal preference. I must have done 500 gigs with a DD3 and it's never let me down. 
  • That's what i have noticed with the Chandler, how it maintains the original signal and really sounds clearer. As I say though, I am a bit cloth eared ;-)
    @victorludorum not at all, I think it's a thing. Some people will love it or it will enhance their sound. For me I like just a little bit of delay but I don't like it to get into the way of my sound or even colour it.