Total beginner novice newbie

What's Hot
marc1tmarc1t Frets: 0
edited August 2017 in Acoustics
Hi everyone.
I bought an accoustic guitar for my 14 year old daughter who is interested in music but alas not the guitar at the moment.
So I thought i would give it s go maybe it will get her interested?
Dont get me wrong at 54 I dont anticipate being the next Eric Clapton but i love music especially accoustic stuff so it would ne nice to strum a few songs. & maybe even sing, scare those cats away.
The guitar is an Ibanez AEL20E electro/ accoustic bought on ebay for £80 sounds & looks nice even with my potato fingers when i eventually get the chord shape right.
I do know quite a lot about music, scale, rythem etc as i messed about with the bass guitar quite a few years ago.
Any tips from you guys would be great. how much daily practice & what to practice is resspnable? untill then ill just need to un tie my fingures
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    If you are ok with tuning the guitar and you have some chord charts then I can recommend learning to play House Of The Rising Sun by the Animals. It's a great song that introduces you to using a good selection of open chord shapes.
    Am, C, D, F, Am, C, E.  It can be strummed or arpegiatted .
    Check YouTube for examples.

I found one of he tricks to learning is to leave the guitar out, ready at hand to be picked up immediately you get the urge to practise. When practicing, the moment you get frustrated or bored , put it down and walk away from it, you'll go back to it soon enough and it's amazing how a small amount of time away from the guitar makes what you've been trying to play sink in.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Look at JustinGuitar.  Lots of good stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marc1tmarc1t Frets: 0
    Thanks for the comments
    At the moment not played anything that remotely sounds like music
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited August 2017
    There's been some great advice already said,but I might add it's never too late to start playing.
    Just take your time and don't give up as it can be  frustrating af first,Then it becomes addictive.Just enjoy it.GOOD LUCK.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    YouTube is a really good source of material for beginners. Try to learn songs you like or are familiar with, it will give you a bit more motivation. If you start making progress then find a guitar teacher.
  • gr1gr1 Frets: 0
    marc1t said:
    Hi everyone.
    I bought an accoustic guitar for my 14 year old daughter who is interested in music but alas not the guitar at the moment.
    So I thought i would give it s go maybe it will get her interested?
    Dont get me wrong at 54 I dont anticipate being the next Eric Clapton but i love music especially accoustic stuff so it would ne nice to strum a few songs. & maybe even sing, scare those cats away.
    The guitar is an Ibanez AEL20E electro/ accoustic bought on ebay for £80 sounds & looks nice even with my potato fingers when i eventually get the chord shape right.
    I do know quite a lot about music, scale, rythem etc as i messed about with the bass guitar quite a few years ago.
    Any tips from you guys would be great. how much daily practice & what to practice is resspnable? untill then ill just need to un tie my fingures

hi just bought myself aj220s epiphone do you know the nut size on your guitar
    equalsql said:
    If you are ok with tuning the guitar and you have some chord charts then I can recommend learning to play House Of The Rising Sun by the Animals. It's a great song that introduces you to using a good selection of open chord shapes.
    Am, C, D, F, Am, C, E.  It can be strummed or arpegiatted .
    Check YouTube for examples.

I found one of he tricks to learning is to leave the guitar out, ready at hand to be picked up immediately you get the urge to practise. When practicing, the moment you get frustrated or bored , put it down and walk away from it, you'll go back to it soon enough and it's amazing how a small amount of time away from the guitar makes what you've been trying to play sink in.

hi
    ive seen that online looks so easy till I tried it. only had guitar ten days never played before so just learning some chords
    i have a epiphone 220s a friend of mine who hasn't played for 15yr seem to think the neck was to small at the nut. so im wondering if id have a better chance with a wider neck i don't want a classic my nut is 1.69 or 1 and 11/16 43mm
    gr1 said:
    i have a epiphone 220s a friend of mine who hasn't played for 15yr seem to think the neck was to small at the nut. so im wondering if id have a better chance with a wider neck i don't want a classic my nut is 1.69 or 1 and 11/16 43mm
    Yep my nut is exactly the same size
    I have no idea bout all the tech stuff need to ask a few questions on here I think
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

Another recommendation for Justinguitar - easily enough to keep you going for quite some time. Free too, unless you feel like donating.

https//www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

• SparkySparky Frets: 90
    +1 for Justinguitar to get you started. There is however, no substitute to having actual lessons with an actual teacher. I did the start of his beginner course, decided I really enjoyed guitar and have been taking lessons ever since as I wanted 'in person' real time feedback to keep me on track.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    crunchman said:
    Look at JustinGuitar.  Lots of good stuff.
    +1 for Justin guitar.com everything you need for a beginner 
  • Stick to open strings and single notes to start with, and open chords, A, E, D etc. Keep it simple. Do songs that are or can be arranged with quarter note strums or even less if possible. Find songs with only 3/4 chords and the same if not as few repeated chord progressions as possible. For notes do melodies from nursery rhymes and keep them short e.g happy birthday.

The trick here is to get them playing as soon as possible whilst keeping it simple. 10-15 mins daily practice would be sufficient if it was me.

Good luck.