PRS CE24 prices?

len62len62 Frets: 6

I've seen a  2001 PRS CE24 tiger top for sale which I like the look of.

Does anyone know what kind of price is reasonable for a CE24 these days?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    edited February 2014
    Depends on age and largely on condition. Unless it's a collectable old one, I would say £700 tops if it's bashed about and maybe £800+ for a minter. Dealers/shops would typically ask for more obviously. What's the asking price on the one you're looking at?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72486
    I agree with fretfinder. Under a grand, possibly quite a lot under depending on condition, any mods etc. Great value for money if you want to buy one, less good news if you want to sell one...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3338
    Of the last 5 prs ive bought 2x ce22@£680 1xce24@£750 1xcu24 @£950 and an eg4@£600 all where in very good condition, kinda wish i kept the custom 24 now
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited February 2014
    I don't doubt that the figures being suggested are realistic in 'today's' market (FWIW, I think the market has permanently shifted lower - there are plenty of high-end bargains in the classifieds which appear not to be selling). That said, a CE at around these figures is a great deal. You'll be getting a great guitar for not much more than you would pay for a new SE series PRS.... That's good value.
  • len62len62 Frets: 6
    Depends on age and largely on condition. Unless it's a collectable old one, I would say £700 tops if it's bashed about and maybe £800+ for a minter. Dealers/shops would typically ask for more obviously. What's the asking price on the one you're looking at?

It's a dealer on ebay, he's looking for £1200 which I thought was pretty high as there are CU24s for that price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRS-CE24-USA-Used-Electric-Guitar-/201040185483?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2eceedc88b

Hopefully it will come down, or another will appear, I like the tiger top though.

• Like you say, that's more like a CU24 price. You might get a near minter Custom for that price and this one sounds like it's been well used. If you're patient you'll find a better condition CE from a private seller for a lot less.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Like you say, that's more like a CU24 price. You might get a near minter Custom for that price and this one sounds like it's been well used. If you're patient you'll find a better condition CE from a private seller for a lot less.
    Yup, patience it is then. I haven't seen many CEs recently and the CUs are just a wee bit too pricey for me at the moment.
  • That has been on eBay a while on and off. . Started at about £1600 some months ago. No more than £800.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    That is a pretty top, i looked for a while before i picked up the DGT. I saw quilted CU24's for £900 with moons, and CE's were around £750. I think that guitar is expensive, I picked up my DGT with birds and a 10 top for £1000 (granted I px'd a American special strat as well, which knocked off £500). So all in all the DGT was £1500. It's really just spotting one and pouncing.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.

Thanks to all for the input. I'll be setting the budget appropriately.

When I started looking for a guitar a friend of mine who has a number of PRS guitars told me to look at the CEs as he thought they would be a good option in relation to price and quality. So far I haven't seen many and those I have seen are either pretty beat up or in the £900 plus price range.

I'll wait and continue to trawl the second hand market.

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    You sometimes see ce24's go for as little as £600. I sold a very early one for 1400 to a collector a few years back.
  • When were CEs made and what was their original price? 
    Wow, grungebob you have some great guitars! And a Cu24 for that cheap!?
  • thomasross20;360191" said:
    When were CEs made and what was their original price? Wow, grungebob you have some great guitars! And a Cu24 for that cheap!?
    Thanks but I don't have any of them now and only ever had 2 at once
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    edited September 2014
    Launched in 88 as the classic electric with an alder body then switched to mahogany in 95 I think. Basically became a custom or a standard with maple bolt on neck after 95 (you could get it with maple top or all mahogany).

They sold for £300 less than a custom when I bought mine in 99. I think they were around £1500 and the customs were £1800.

They were mainly available as a 22 fret wide fat or a 24 fret wide thin neck though you could get a wide thin 22 etc but they're harder to find. They come up all the time on ebay and usually range from £600 to £850. Absolute bargains for that money.
  • Crikey!
    Wish I could play one locally!
  • Early 90s they were £1399 vs CU24 at £1699. Alder bodied with maple top is the one to go for.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 846
    edited September 2014
    £800-£1k for a one in good nick, with a nice top (which are actually rare) down to £600 or so for a beat up one in a plain colour.

AS Ive said before, Id want £800 for mine should I sell (though mine is a 22 fret not 24) - which has some small marks on the top and some larger chunks (lnot necessarily large by everyones standards) in the side.  But its got a great top.  Might not be what people are prepared to pay - but Im not prepared to take less.  Id rather keep her (struggling to decide as it is despite not playing her much at present).

Cant really see the marks.

Mine is a 96.  When I bought my CU22 in 1999, the CU was £2000 for a 10 top (which I bought), £2400 for an artist pack and £1800 for a non 10 top.  The CEs were £1600 for a top and £1500 for a plain/solid finish.

• I've seen some minty ce22s and ce24s go for sub £600 down the years. Always completed auction prices though, otherwise I would've bought them!
  • Wow - that's lovely!! 
    And hell, PRS prices haven't half gone up some!
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    No more than Gibson or Fender.