Testing input gain on the Line 6 Relay G70

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
Hi all,

Bit of an odd question.... the Relay G70 wireless unit allows you to set the gain for the signal at -/+ 12db. Is there a simple way I can test what this should be, in comparison to my signal when using a cable? Some kind of meter, of sorts?

It's going direct into a Helix unit, which annoyingly doesn't have any visual dB meter....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Plug in to an amp using a cable then do the same using the G70, use whichever setting gives you the closest volume match
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    John_A said:
    Plug in to an amp using a cable then do the same using the G70, use whichever setting gives you the closest volume match
    ...boy do I feel stupid.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    edited August 2017
    FarleyUK said:
    Hi all,

Bit of an odd question.... the Relay G70 wireless unit allows you to set the gain for the signal at -/+ 12db. Is there a simple way I can test what this should be, in comparison to my signal when using a cable? Some kind of meter, of sorts?

It's going direct into a Helix unit, which annoyingly doesn't have any visual dB meter....
    If its any help I set mine at +5 for strats and +3 for anything else

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Hi all,

Nice, cheers mate. I'm running Les Pauls only, one with a pair of Slash Alnico 2's and the other with 1959 Tributes. Will try boosting it by +3 to see how it seems..
    FarleyUK said:
    Cabicular said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Hi all,

Nice, cheers mate. I'm running Les Pauls only, one with a pair of Slash Alnico 2's and the other with 1959 Tributes. Will try boosting it by +3 to see how it seems..
    Works for me, just like a light compressor in front of the chain. helps sustain etc
    Tried this last night - found an old mini-mixer I had that has LEDs showing input levels. Using this, I actually found I needed to set the gain to -2dB on the G70...!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    FarleyUK said:
    Tried this last night - found an old mini-mixer I had that has LEDs showing input levels. Using this, I actually found I needed to set the gain to -2dB on the G70...!
    I wouldn't worry too much about matching the levels, just set it where it sounds best
    I always like to slightly heat up the guitar on the way in
    just personal preference but I've been doing it for so long, anything else doesn't feel right to me 
    Correction - it was +3, not -3!