Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My 'crate' tele is underway - build thread. EDIT: FINISHED!

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16672
    That looks great! Really well thought out
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Loving this build! :) 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Great skills. Enjoying the build pictures and stories.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    It seemed to be going too well, but I've now had two complete schoolboy errors. I am really kicking my arse over lack of concentration.

1) Drilled the string holes front to back. I forgot to sit the body on another bit of wood so I have tearout in the first three. Doh! The won't show massively as I am still drilling out larger holes for the ferrules.

2) I was a complete tit and neither marked the fret markers with enough care nor double checked them. Subsequently three are out of alignment. A casual glance doesn't see it right now, but once the strings are on there will be long straight lines highlighting the discrepancies. Not sure yet whether to attempt a fix. It would involve a LOT of hassle - find spare ebony, turn on lathe to diameter, remove dots, glue in ebony, level off, re radius, re mark re drill, make new dots, glue dots in, flatten re radius. It would also be MUCH easier to do it before installing frets. I think I may let it go ....
    Or you could drill them out and widen the hole slightly.  Put the dot in its new location and fill the slight gap with wood dust/super glue.  It will only be a slight cresent shaped fill and will look better than having them wonky.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    Or you could drill them out and widen the hole slightly.  Put the dot in its new location and fill the slight gap with wood dust/super glue.  It will only be a slight cresent shaped fill and will look better than having them wonky.  
    My experience is that it is very difficult, nigh on impossible to drill a hole placed slightly differently over an existing hole, hence considering the longer route.

The offending articles (don't look 'too' bad without strings on):

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fair enough, I had to do it a few days ago.  
    OK, so I fixed the dots. More progress:

Drilling the ferrule holes on the back of the body using a template I made up.

Machinehead holes countersunk

Initial neck shaping. This job is both a tad worrying and also very satisfying. Bugger up now and it is a LOT of hours wasted!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    neck rounded off and headstock transition sorted. The neck is a lot thicker than my last one. I was going to take it down, but I'de decided that I rather like it now, and why make all my guitars the same anyway.

installing frets with a fret press tool in my drill. I love this thing! a million times better than hammering them in last couple of times.

All frets installed. I don't have decent snips so I cut them down with my dremel.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Can't wait to see this finished - it's a brilliant idea. My only gripe is the hardware has maybe been taken too far with the ageing but I think it might look ok when it is all put together.   :-)
    edited September 2017
    Fret ends cut down and rounded off. Looks nice!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gagaryn said:
    Can't wait to see this finished - it's a brilliant idea. My only gripe is the hardware has maybe been taken too far with the ageing but I think it might look ok when it is all put together.   :-)
    Yeah, any kind of ageing is very subjective. I wanted pretty graunchy for this particular guitar but I know it's nor for everyone. 
    Stained the back with a concoction of vinegar, wire wool and tea. later gave it a couple of coats of satin varnish.

Front sprayed with satin varnish, edges slightly darkened first. You can't really tell from this pic, but the satin finish on the wood looks lovely. It's really brought out the 'woodyness' and the branded type. 

Installing side dots. Hate this job, easy to cock up (I did, twice)

Side dots sanded flat. I have also stained the neck since this shot

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

axisus said:
    Gagaryn said:
    Yeah, any kind of ageing is very subjective. I wanted pretty graunchy for this particular guitar but I know it's nor for everyone. 
    In the end I agreed, so I have polished it back up a bit. A good decision, looks great against the wood now.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Nice...  I think the aged thing depends on the build and for the rustic look of the front (which looks awesome) I reckon is quite appropriate..  It would ruin the look to have shiny hardware on it I think.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Looks fantastic.  One day I am going to do this but I don't think I will be able to make a neck so I will have to buy one.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    This has got to be a contender for thread of the century!
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Looking good!
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Super cool guitar body - great job!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    axisus said:

axisus said:
    Gagaryn said:
    In the end I agreed, so I have polished it back up a bit. A good decision, looks great against the wood now.
    Good! :-) I did the same on my Fender relic!