NGD (x3) & NAD (x1)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    adamm82 said:
    I like the designs of the sonex never played one and read mixed reviews. I have been tempted to by one as I'd like an older Gibson guitar in my collection that's affordable. 
    Here's my mixed review…

Heavy, lumpy body with no discernable tonal properties - made from "Resonwood", ie a wood core covered in resin. Nasty orange-peel finish.

Poor-quality neck with frequently badly-finished frets and crap machineheads. Sometimes de-laminate along the joints.

Harsh, muddy and totally toneless pickups.

Worse-quality electrics than you will normally find on a US-made guitar.

The bridge and tailpiece are OK.

:)

"Affordable" in the sense that they are probably worth less than any other old Gibson. "Still a waste of money" would be another interpretation.

I hope Harry paid what this one is worth. To be fair, the neck doesn't look that bad.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    ICBM said:

I hope Harry paid what this one is worth. 
    The 3 guitars and Phoenix PHA-1 came as a job lot in a trade.

Lets just say that I have no complaints. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    ICBM said:
    adamm82 said:
    I like the designs of the sonex never played one and read mixed reviews. I have been tempted to by one as I'd like an older Gibson guitar in my collection that's affordable. 
    Here's my mixed review…

Heavy, lumpy body with no discernable tonal properties - made from "Resonwood", ie a wood core covered in resin. Nasty orange-peel finish.

Poor-quality neck with frequently badly-finished frets and crap machineheads. Sometimes de-laminate along the joints.

Harsh, muddy and totally toneless pickups.

Worse-quality electrics than you will normally find on a US-made guitar.

The bridge and tailpiece are OK.

:)

"Affordable" in the sense that they are probably worth less than any other old Gibson. "Still a waste of money" would be another interpretation.

I hope Harry paid what this one is worth. To be fair, the neck doesn't look that bad.
    My old Sonex had dirty fingers pickups and were the best thing about it. In fact I saved the pickups and swapped them for some god-awful Dimarzios when I sold it.

Oh and the original dirty fingers Pickups were nothing like those modern things.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

•  I cannot decide whether to go with three budget single coils or two American stacked-coil pickups and a dummy in the middle for show.
    ICBM said:
    I would definitely go for three proper pickups
    So would I ... if I planned to keep the guitar for myself. The likeliest customer for this guitar is known for preferring the lowest possible price. Hence, Korean PRS SE pickups it shall be.

Three-way neck/both/bridge toggle plus a blend for the middle is, essentially, what the ATN circuitry does, already. My life.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Some of those old Hohners were built in Wales boyo ☺
  • ... as were Picato strings. (Touché!) :)
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I've always fancied a sonex - probably never bought one because I knew it would be rubbish.

Buit one day............

impmann said:

My old Sonex had dirty fingers pickups and were the best thing about it. In fact I saved the pickups and swapped them for some god-awful Dimarzios when I sold it.
    Very few of them had the Dirty Fingers pickups - only one that I've seen, I think. Most had appalling things with no adjustable polepieces, like the ones in Harry's. This is a common trap for people who buy Sonexes expecting them to have the good pickups...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dirty Fingers pickups are crap, compressed to all hell horrible things. Fastest thing I've ever resold.
    clarkefan said:
    Dirty Fingers pickups are crap, compressed to all hell horrible things. Fastest thing I've ever resold.
    The original ones were great - high-output and aggressive, but with great responsiveness to picking, which is presumably why they were called that. The reissue ones weren't...

• Dammit, Mr. FF, that's looking mighty fine!
    ICBM said:
    I have to say it looks brilliant with the P90s.
    Thanks to the combination of budget single coil P90s and the stock control circuitry, this particular JT-60 is sounding pretty interesting too. Far more versatile than my simplistic Blues guitar idea would have been.
  • It's coming home.
    It's coming home.
    It's coming.
    Jay Tee's coming home.

https://i.imgur.com/ikwZNGi.jpg?1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  =) 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• JDE said:
    I really like the look of that Hohner. Very Urusei Yatsura, if anyone remembers them.
    I have the Kewpies Like Watermelons single and I saw them support the Super Furry Animals in a marquee in the grounds of Cardiff Castle!