Fuzz question...into a clean or dirty amp?

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

How do you guys use your Fuzz pedals? So you run it into a clean or a dirty amp, or do you stack it with drive pedal?

I've got a Fuzz Face (MXR/Dunlop) but it's never taken a perminant place on my gigging board...and I'm planning a board shuffle that might free up space for it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like to stack as that way you dont have to have the volume dimed on the fuzz especially on the fuzz face.

Sparkboost does the trick for me, but it will run into an overdrive withouch causing too much howling

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Fuzz faces need to go into dirty amps (preferred) or an od pedal of some description, for me. I prefer the sound of both knobs maxed, or very nearly so. You can't turn em up if you don't have some kind of compression/lack of headroom coming after.
    Muffs like clean amps, I think.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2358
    edited February 2014
    Yeah slightly dirty amp to round off the harsher edges. Not so much dirt from the amp that it doesn't sound like a fuzz, though (not that there's anything wrong with that approach, of course, just if I kick on a fuzz I want it to sound like a fuzz).
  • Thanks guys.
  • Muff to clean amp most of the time. High wattage high headroom clean amps preferably.

Fuzz Face to driven amp most of the time. Buffers seem to affect the Hendrix 70th pedal I have quite significantly, making it harsher sounding and changing the way it reacts to my guitars volume pedal.
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Fuzz into clean amp.

But with an overdrive boosting into the fuzz

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Both and all combinations.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited February 2014
    I love the axis fuzz, which is based on the silicon fuzz face.  It's amazing with drive in front, behind or into a clean amp.  Likes compressors.  Likes single coils and humbuckers, can do super squishy stuff with high output stuff but cleans up to a really sweet clean sound still.  

Basically, why is it not on your board? :D
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Both
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Boss ds-2 into Mooer triangle buff for me at the moment.

• I have a Monkey FX Super Monkey that is a Fuzz Face with Super Hard On that can be placed before or after the fuzz. It is a loonatic pedal that can self oscilate (if you like that sort of thing). I also have an M Design Haus RAW which is a Violet Rams Head Big Muff in some kind of armour plated casing. I prefer both of them into clean amp. I sometimes run them into a Nobels PRE01 for even more oomph. I do occasionally run them into drive channel for solos.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431

A good fuzz face will do both.

It will scream through an amp set up at the break up and still give a nice kick to a clean amp. In the latter case the pedal may sound harsher, less rounded.

Keep in mind that your fuzz face gain needs to be maxed out and the volume set so you can also use the bypassed amp without too much of a drop. You can then drive the pedal with your guitar volume to clean it up when needed.

If your fuzz is not permanently on your board you may want to consider a change. Fantastic fuzzes are very addictive.

• ForgeForge Frets: 431

I forgot to add that the order is up to you, try both and see what happens. Fuzzes can react very differently from one model to the other.