Unexpected new amp day! Cornell Romany Pro

What's Hot
chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
edited September 2017 in Amps
Holidaying in the North East at the moment and just had to have a look around The Music Gallery in Berwick which it turns out is a great shop full of interesting used amps and guitars with friendly folks. As it happens I have been considering a Cornell or something similar and there in the corner was a Romany Pro, sweet sounding  in lovely nick and at what seemed a fair price, it's no longer in the corner it's in our holiday let. Given the documentation that came with it I suspect it previously belonged to @Johnspreyer and before that @fingers. Chuffed to bits. Jensen JCH12/70 speaker which I think I prefer to the Vintage 30 they advertise them with now. A slightly larger amp than I thought I would get but I think the sound warrants the size and weight. I can sell the other stuff and get something tiny for those almost acoustic sessions. 

https://i.imgur.com/NHN162F.jpg

p.s. I guess my amp journey needs an update now :-)
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Nice. I've had the 10 watt Plus for about 7 years. Always fancied trying the 20 watt version if nothing more than to see just how much headroom they have.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    What really surprises me is that there isn't a decent demo on YT.  They sound all farty and horrible - even on Dennis' own vids.  Such a shame as they're really clear right across the range, with a fantastic break-up when you dig in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chromatunachromatuna Frets: 368
    I don't think Denis is as hot on the marketing side as some folks but he doesn't seem short of customers. He is just over 20 miles from me so I think I am sorted for servicing :-)

Does yours also have the Jensen @uncledick ?
    Yep, Jensen in mine - matches the amp superbly.  Just out of interest, do these have serial numbers as such?  Mine has a small sticker with what looks like RPO 2010 042 and initialled DC.  It's not much bigger than a postage stamp.
    edited August 2017
    Mine has a similar sticker with 036 on it so they may be six amps apart. I dropped Denis an email to ask a question and mentioned that I would bring it to him if I ever needed a service, he said of course but also just pop in if I am in the area which is rather enticing

Worst part is that I am on holiday until Saturday with nothing plug into it.... shoulda bought a guitar too :-)
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    Denis is an absolute gent to deal with, his customer service is above and beyond. My Romany Plus came from Coda Music. It was supposed to be an ex demo they had for sale but they failed to update their website after it was sold. To their credit they sent me a new one for the price of the ex demo.
    When it arrived the grill cloth was loose fitting. When I mentioned this to Denis he sent me a replacement amp the next day and had the other one collected at the same time, at his expense. Mine has a sticker inside with 08/09 DC written on it, can't recall what the number is.
    On another note, I recently got hold of a Lazy J Cruiser Deuce pedal. It works particularly well with the Romany plus. Best results are on the 10 watt setting though. On the lower settings it can get a little fizzy.
    I tried a couple of pedals into mine and it seemed like some kind of sacrilege.  Gone back to guitar/lead/amp which just seems kinda how it should be.  I thought the low power settings were a bit disappointing on the Romany Plus I tried but the Pro is decidedly better.  Lowest (2W) setting can go a bit fuzzy - depending  on how the rest of the amp is set up.
    edited August 2017
    I am still  holiday with no electric guitar so I haven't been able to explore past what was necessary to buy the amp. Not too worried about the lowest power settings as I bought this primarily as my gigging and rehearsing with a drummer amp. I am planning to get something small for those popping round to a friend's house kind of sesssions. Actually the Laney VC15 was great for that so I might look for another UK one of those cheap.
  • I'm so glad it's gone to a good home as it is quite special.  I barely used it following a back operation so it just sat there looking good which was rather a waste.  The Music Gallery in Berwick is a bit of a hidden gem with quite a selection of interesting guitars and really helpful people. 
  • Any verdict yet @chromatuna ?
    edited September 2017
    @uncledick

Oh a definite thumbs up from me, lovely sweet tones with my PRS and Strat, just what I was looking for, it all works just right although can't see myself using the tone stack cut much if at all. Very pleased with it. Shame it took me so long to discover that Fender style amp tones are what I like

I should just add that it was a real boon to come across one used in a shop where I could really check it out before buying. It's all very well researching a bit of kit but my best purchases of recent years, the ones that are keepers, have all be the result of being able to try something out
  • I loved that amp! Wonderful tone and I can also vouch for how great Denis is to deal with. Enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    This particular one is now with its third Fretboarder!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DaveGDaveG Frets: 0
    edited September 2017
    Recently took an old mates Romany Pro of his hands as his back wouldn't allow him to use it any more. Having used an AC30 for a good while I wasn't sure it would be loud enough so popped an Eminence Black Mountain I happed to have in as its some 3db more efficient than the Jensen. Think it sounds a bit fuller too. Works brilliantly and I'm really pleased so far. Can't be doing with the lower power setting, even in the house. Pedals are there for that. Chromatuna. As for practice amps I have a Hayden Mini Mofo head which has a 2 watt setting that I did use in the house thats works really well. The newer model is even smaller so perhaps more practical for such use.
    edited September 2017
    Thanks @DaveG my current thinking is that I don't actually need a practice amp for home use as I mostly pick up an acoustic here and when playing electric the Romany sounds so good. What I could do with one day perhaps is a very small combo for popping round to friends' places with but there is no hurry there. As for speaker efficiency I think I'll just see how the Jensen gets on at band practices before making any change, I like it at the moment, wasn't sure I would. So no immediate GAS although I do have some @TheGuitarWeasel pickups on order for my PRS and may also spruce up my old Strat. It did strike me just yesterday that I picked up this amp in Berwick upon Tweed which is a nice coincidence.
  • I have the plexi 18/20, plexi 45/50 and the legACy by Dennis.  All fantastic amps.  Really great.