I had a Mark I evening

webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
I did this tonight - this is my 1978 Mesa Boogie Mark I:

Fired it and let rip for an hour or so - what a great amp, batshit crazy amount of gain for the late 70's!!!

On the bad side the V1 valve is definitely knackered!

Who else loves a bit of Mark I action!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Never owned a MkI - but did have a MkIII for many years.

In many respects the best amp I've owned - outstanding cleans and a focussed lead channel that sounded fantastic in a mix.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Me - it's my favourite Mark series Boogie by a long way - in fact the only one I like… but I only like the low-gain input.

Sorry :).

That low-gain breakup sound is a thing of absolute wonder though. It's such a shame I find the other input almost unusable, it's always put me off owning one - I know that's daft, you don't *have* to use it.

They are also astonishingly loud for their size, which I've always been impressed by - even the 60W ones, let alone the 100s. I think the 100W 1x12"s with the EV are the loudest single-12 amps ever made, even beating the Fender 200W Showman solid-state amp.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    Never owned a MkI - but did have a MkIII for many years.

In many respects the best amp I've owned - outstanding cleans and a focussed lead channel that sounded fantastic in a mix.
    Yeah I had a red stripe Mark III - its a bad ass little amp, how do they cram so many watts into that little head shell! Aggressive too.
    ICBM said:
    Me - it's my favourite Mark series Boogie by a long way - in fact the only one I like… but I only like the low-gain input.

Sorry :).
    No apologies needed I kind of agree! Break up on the low gain input is very sensitive to picking and pickup choice - the high input is fun but basically bonkers!

Love this little amp! :)