A volume pedal is very useful

What's Hot
Never used one before.  Recently bought one.  Don't think I'll be able to play live without one in future.

I have it after dirt, before modulation + delay.  Obviously it's great for swells, although I don't play a lot of those in my current band.

What I do need to do is change my level throughout a set to fit into the mix.  I was never really happy doing that using the guitar volume - partly because the ergonomics never worked well on my guitars, but also because dropping the volume would also cut treble, gain or both.  Having a master volume control on the floor does away with all of those problems, and frees up the guitar controls for just changing tone rather than level.

Now I just need to master the skill of dropping from full volume back to a rhythm level, at the end of a solo or fill.  I know you can get pedals with a minimum level control (or just replace the whole thing with a footswitch), but I like having the fully variable control, so I'll just need to practice a bit :)
Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
JM build | Pedalboard plans
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I strongly prefer one to using the controls on a guitar, because that way I can use both hands to play the instrument without compromise.

The main reason I'd use a volume control on a guitar is tone - assuming you don't have a treble bleed type of setup that is.  I quite like setting a guitar volume a little below 10 for some softer sounds.

Which pedal did you get?  The one I like is the Dunlop DVP1 - it's huge, but that makes controlling it a lot easier IME.  I do put mine before dirt, but after a noise gate, so that the noise gate always sees the same level from the guitar
  • The main reason I'd use a volume control on a guitar is tone - assuming you don't have a treble bleed type of setup that is.  I quite like setting a guitar volume a little below 10 for some softer sounds.
    Yes, exactly.  Moving master level control to the floor means that the guitar volumes can be used to control tone - e.g. reduce gain a bit, soften a bit, change pickup mix (on guitars with separate volume per pickup).
    Which pedal did you get? 
    I got a Dunlop DVP3.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • Yeah they're nice, a sensibly sized version of the DVP 1 that can do expression control.  At some point I need to sell my DVP1 and get the XL version, same size but can do expression as well as volume
  • I gather your volume pedal has no minimum volume pot on the side then..with those you can set the heel down position to your desired level....ie your rhythm level. But I do prefer to do that on the guitar like most folks...but if you wanna do it with a volume pedal you can with the right pedal..but then you can't do swells from zero to max when you do that so....
  • Get a Morley volume pedal with the minimum volume dial which  is switchable on the fly .  Job done. 
  • Hotone soul press has a minimum volume and a decent wah too (and is tiny)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Get two volume pedals, and then you can use one with a minimum level to go down to your "rhythm" volume, and another with no minimum to do swells.
  • Cabicular said:
    Hotone soul press has a minimum volume and a decent wah too (and is tiny)
    Wis'd this. It's actually the nicest sounding wah I've ever owned!
    How very rock and roll
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Cabicular said:
    Don't forget, in addition to Wah and Volume pedals, the Soul Press also functions as an expression pedal too . Very useful little thing.
  • Beexter said:
    Cabicular said:
    Don't forget, in addition to Wah and Volume pedals, the Soul Press also functions as an expression pedal too . Very useful little thing.
    And it's orange 
    How very rock and roll
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    I use an Ernie Ball junior last before the amp and just adjust on the fly to get rhythm level etc. Necessary for me because I use shedloads of compression, which would nullify the effect of dialling down the volume control on the guitar.