Lo and Hi impedance inputs how do folks use them?

What's Hot
So, home from holiday and now have a chance to play with my new Cornell which is lovely

It's the first amp I have owned in many a year with Hi and Low Z inputs and I was just wondering what exactly they effect of them is?

To my ears Hi = more gain, more too end zing and a more forward sound, Lo = less gain, a more mellow and jazzier sound, better for cleans I guess

is there a best way to use each?
This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    You use the High for the guitar, and the Low for linking it to the High of another amp :).

Yes, that's basically the difference - the Low produces half the signal level (-6dB gain) and a lower impedance which gives a softer tone - unless you're running a buffered pedal in front, in which case it makes very little difference to the tone. This also can make non-buffered pedals sound much brighter and slightly louder when they're on, relative to the off tone.

The reason you can use them to link amps (or channels on the same amp) is that the gain cut is achieved simply by two resistors, and signal will flow each way through them, so the 'input' can become an 'output'.

You can also plug two guitars in at the same time if you want, in which case both inputs become 'High'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I love the subtle tone difference in the Lo input and use it often.
    I also love the tone controls on these amps and never ever use the "cut" switch.

If I were to order a Custom Romany Plus or Pro it would be without the EQ cut  and without the 4 way output switch. That would be perfect.
    I also tried a hemp speaker recently and absolutely love it (but have realised that I also love the Jensen).
    Dennis Cornell urged me not to ditch the Jensen but he did not in any way try to put me off trying  a different flavour of (and much louder) speaker.

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    I tend to use the low to get jazzier sounds, and the high gives me more dynamic up front sounds which appeals to the hooligan in me
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I use them by ignoring the low input at all times, why would you want less gain? :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    As I understand it, the low input is for active pickups. Since all my guitars are passive pickups, I always plug into the high input since it doesn't cut the volume. I guess, some particularly hot active guitars would overdrive the high input, thus be unable to produce a decent clean tone if desired, unless plugged into the low input.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    ICBM said:
    You use the High for the guitar, and the Low for linking it to the High of another amp :).

Yes, that's basically the difference - the Low produces half the signal level (-6dB gain) and a lower impedance which gives a softer tone - unless you're running a buffered pedal in front, in which case it makes very little difference to the tone. This also can make non-buffered pedals sound much brighter and slightly louder when they're on, relative to the off tone.

The reason you can use them to link amps (or channels on the same amp) is that the gain cut is achieved simply by two resistors, and signal will flow each way through them, so the 'input' can become an 'output'.

You can also plug two guitars in at the same time if you want, in which case both inputs become 'High'.
    Wait hold on. Am I being a simpleton here?

Surely you can't drive two amps with one guitar plugged only into the high input of one amp?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    rico said:

Wait hold on. Am I being a simpleton here?

Surely you can't drive two amps with one guitar plugged only into the high input of one amp?
    You can if you link the amps by connecting the Low input on the first amp to the High input on the other one.

Like this…

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/66/04/8d/66048daf6d93ffd082f8d4e3620758fa--heart-sounds-musician-photography.jpg

You can even carry on the daisy-chain by linking the second amp to a third one the same way, and so on - although after a couple, it starts to load the guitar down quite heavily and you will lose volume and tone.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Well thats very interesting, thanks @ICBM ;
  • ICBM said:
    Ahh! So that's how the patch lead between Marshall 4 holers works, thank you, that's puzzled me for yonks! An input becomes an output! :)