Effective solo boosts

What's Hot
I have always used amps with an FX loop and so have used a clean boost in the loop for a volume lift for solos very effectively for ages.

I am however increasingly drawn to classic Marshall type amps, and the mjw and ceriatone amps in the classifieds currently have me sorely tempted. I was just wondering how you would get an effective solo boost out of these types of amps - especially when the amp is overdriven - as they often don't have an FX loop
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've always had a non fx loop amp but always use my guitar volume knob for solos. If that's not enough I'll use a clean boost to push it further. Never had a problem :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In pretty much the same way mate.

Chuck an exotic sp (or far cheaper mostly xp) boost in for straightforward boost or one of the many klon clones for a transparent OD that has the potential for both boost and extra drive -I've found the ehx soul food is pretty wicked for this. In fact I use both of the above, soul food for slightly more drive and the xp boosts solos. Both could be had for about £50-60 total in the secondhand market.
  • Depends how distorted the amp already is before boosting. If it's already pretty dirty, and you hit the front end with more gain it'll just compress more, giving more distortion but very little volume boost.

In my limited experience of those kinds of amps, they're usually VERY loud so using the volume knob on your guitar to clean up the signal, then whack it up for boost does the trick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited September 2017
    You can't boost the actual volume by much but you can use an EQ pedal to reshape the signal to cut through more. Cut the lows and highs and boost the mids to make better use of the volume spectrum that you've got.

It can also double up as a boost at the same time if you need more sustain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Treble booster can make you stand out a bit more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Depends on two things in my experience 
    firstly the gain level and tone you are using as your rhythm sound 
    secondly the band dynamic 

Using your guitar volume might work in a bluesy 3 piece or more restrained 2 guitar line up where the other guy understands dynamics. 

But good luck in anything from JCM800 gain level and up where the bands general level is more intense. 

You either have to carve out your own slice of the sonic cake, or adapt and overcome with sheer volume, I use the latter as I'm a metal guy, not because everything is loud and grunty, but because that style doesn't benefit from backing off, and even if we did, the gain levels we use are so high, you wouldn't notice. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Get an attenuator with a footswitchable bypass, and set the attenuated level for your rhythm sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited September 2017
    I use a tubescreamer in a 1 guitar band, the extra mids seem to help and theres enough room in the mix for it to work I think. In a 2 guitar band I would use an eq, ideally in the fx loop.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Pushing the front end harder (or backing off between solos) can be made to work perfectly well with one guitar, bass, and drummer but with a second guitar (or a keyboard player, or whatever) you're probably going to want/need a little co-operation from your band mates backing off a bit and making some space as well.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • ICBM said:
    Get an attenuator with a footswitchable bypass, and set the attenuated level for your rhythm sound.

Does one exist.
  • siraxeman said:
    ICBM said:

Does one exist.
    Ironman II mini
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I used to use a Morley volume pedal with the min volume set to my rhythm sound and full up for solos, think it was the older version of this:

http://www.morleypedals.com/volume-plus/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    siraxeman said:
    ICBM said:

Does one exist.
    Not according to the Bible.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxeman said:
    ICBM said:

Does one exist.
    Ironman II mini

Does anyone else make em its a great idea and should be standard...just £395 is a bit too rich for most methinks.
  • xibxangxibxang Frets: 18
    edited September 2017
    I have a Marshall AVT100 and I use the OD1 channel combined with my guitar volume controls for general rhythm work. For leads, I use the Clean channel with the gain cranked right up and a tube screamer on the front end to get a bit more oomph and sustain. Works well for me. 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2133
    Dual volume footswitchable attenuators. 
  • Simple answer: it can't be done properly.

Long answer: everything else mentioned: switchable attenuation, clean boost FX loop or 2 switchable master volumes etc etc. 

if you want an easy life, get a good clean amp and try out every overdrive you can until you find what works, or get a Kemper! 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited September 2017
    Maynehead said:
    You can't boost the actual volume by much but you can use an EQ pedal to reshape the signal to cut through more. Cut the lows and highs and boost the mids to make better use of the volume spectrum that you've got.

It can also double up as a boost at the same time if you need more sustain.
    ermmm - this adds a massive vol boost with minimal coloration - is immense...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Stevie Young (ACDC) has a small fortune in guitars and vintage Marshalls on stage and in the middle of it all a Mooer Pure Boost (£44 new) which is basically a clone of the Xotic RC Boost (£210 new).
    Straightforward clean boosts can sound a bit harsh so something with eq or something voiced to be less harsh sounding ( like ZVex Channel 2 or Fulltone 2B) might be good. 
    However, I suspect in reality @MatthewShreddery got it about right. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.