Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands That Have Outstayed Their Welcome?

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
What acts do you think should have quit years ago, that have now become parodies or self-serving tributes to their younger days? I was at a festival and The Wailers played. One old guy, who may have known Bob Marley once and a bunch of young guys. I'm a big Stranglers fan but for me they became irrelevant when Hugh Cornwell left in about 1990.  Then there's punk/new wave bands lumbering about the stage with about one original member doing their one hit and another hour of junk. 
Who do you think fills this category? I know someone is going to say The Stones, but for me - whatever they now look like - they can still deliver. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Little Mix.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Queen
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @Flink_Poyd Right. Much as I admire May and Taylor as musicians they should've quit using the name when Freddie died.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33796
    AC/DC.
    They are awesome but c'mon guys, it is over.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexC said:
    @Flink_Poyd Right. Much as I admire May and Taylor as musicians they should've quit using the name when Freddie died.
    They should call themselves "a bit of Queen"
    £110 for a standing ticket for a band with only 2 of the original members and only trading off the legacy of a singer who died 25 years ago would put most bands in local festival territory. Obviously still a demand for them though
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    edited September 2017
    Surely Quo without Rick Parfitt?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Yes ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4980
    The Eagles.  The Drifters.  AC/DC.  Rolling Stones.........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Rainbow

Ritchie Blackmore as a pale shadow of his former self, a tolerable tribute-band singer and a bunch of other pretty nondescript players does not make a great band...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    I think that any band that reforms with enough original members to sound the same, that's ok. I probably wouldnt go and seem them but fair play. The Stones do a fair well tour every couple of year and I actually enjoy the ones I've seen on telly. I wouldnt pay for a ticket. 

I think the ones that carry on without an irreplaceable member such as Queen, need to get over themselves, form a supergroup or retire gracefully. 

There's the band with one or two original members, that sound nothing like the original band and really need to get a dayjob. Slade, Sweet and Dr Feelgood come to mind. 

The one I do think works is the Skids/Big Country mash up. That was good. 

However if anyone's making a living from music when I dont, they must be doing something right. 

• AlexC said:
    What acts do you think should have quit years ago, that have now become parodies or self-serving tributes to their younger days? I was at a festival and The Wailers played. One old guy, who may have known Bob Marley once and a bunch of young guys. I'm a big Stranglers fan but for me they became irrelevant when Hugh Cornwell left in about 1990.  Then there's punk/new wave bands lumbering about the stage with about one original member doing their one hit and another hour of junk. 
    Who do you think fills this category? I know someone is going to say The Stones, but for me - whatever they now look like - they can still deliver. 
    Glenn Miller Orchestra, no original members at all - the bastards.

There are a couple of versions of the Wailers in existence, I saw the one with Al Anderson years ago and really excellent. I dont think anyone's expecting an aged Bob Marley to pop up from behind the curtains but people still love that music and those musos still need to make a living. 

I have a bit bit of a problem with Queen as they don't need the money ( from my perception of it anyway) and just seem to be going all out to exploit their legacy ( although Queen were always a very commercial entity with very little interest in credibility), as they were a band I liked such a lot when I was younger I find it a bit sickening but no one is  forcing any one to buy tickets. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I remember seeing The Byrds in ?1991? with only the original drummer. The band itself was really good, I think the guitarist was Jerry Sorr and he was pulling out the most amazing licks on a Gulld 12-string semi during "Eight Miles High".

Ealier on the bill was one of the Merseybeat groups, I think my brain has blotted out their name. They were pretty much all original band members but were so bad that it became easier to spot the correct notes rather than the bum notes.

The non-original argument only works for bands that had a settled line-up. Take Man, for example. BEfore Micky jones and Deke Leonard died they could have chosen from about twenty musicians, all of whom were band members for some length of time.
  • Megadeth and Metallica, sad but true. Among many others. Not the Rolling Stones or AC/DC: they can still deliver (those were proper words, mate). Queen?! No way! They should knuckle down to work on a new album, with A. Lambert.
    EricTheWeary said:

Ditto the Inkspots - I saw them in the 1980s when they still had one remaining first-generation replacement, I think!

IvanMC said:

Queen?! No way! They should knuckle down to work on a new album, with A. Lambert.
    No. With Mika.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    ICBM said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Ditto the Inkspots - I saw them in the 1980s when they still had one remaining first-generation replacement, I think!

IvanMC said:

Queen?! No way! They should knuckle down to work on a new album, with A. Lambert.
    No. With Mika.
    I utterly love his solo albums.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Stereophonics.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    ICBM said:
    Rainbow

Ritchie Blackmore as a pale shadow of his former self, a tolerable tribute-band singer and a bunch of other pretty nondescript players does not make a great band...
    That was Rainbow from at least 1983.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Rainbow

Yet, I saw them live two years ago in Birmingham and thought the show was immense. The singer was astonishing and richie seemed to be enjoying it too. Just not quite loud enough for my tastes.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • U2. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ThorpyFX said:

Yet, I saw them live two years ago in Birmingham and thought the show was immense. The singer was astonishing and richie seemed to be enjoying it too. Just not quite loud enough for my tastes.
    Sadly they were not like that this June. The singer was actually pretty good at the Dio-era suff, although much less good at the rest. Blackmore seemed to be going through the motions, and didn't really play any of the classic solos or even riffs - he was playing in an odd 'stilted' style which didn't really fit, and they ended Since You've Been Gone right where the solo starts. The rest of the band were just dull, and the whole thing seemed more like a tribute band.

I would have to add Deep Purple to the list as well. I've never liked anything they did after Blackmore left - or more accurately after Gillan left before he came back after Blackmore had gone :).

So I will have to hold on to my memories of seeing the proper Deep Purple with Blackmore in 1987 (House Of Blue Light tour)...