An Evening At Gassage Towers...

What's Hot
WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9585
A few weeks ago, early on a Monday evening, I headed over to meet the legend that is @Gassage in order to purchase a Schmidt Array pedal board from him. We met at his home, and it turned out to be a GAS fuelled evening and an expensive one to boot...

Although he never stopped bloody rattling, I had a great evening playing many of James' vintage guitars, (and liked the '61 Strat a lot) and through his compendium of pedals and amps. He even got me mildly interested in Gilmour...

The real stand out of the whole evening was his original '73 Thinline Tele; this guitar has strong sentimental value to James, and is an absolutes belter. I don't know what makes the mojo in this one... those original Seth Lover PUs certainly help, and it just felt worn, superb and inspirational. Yep, I'm after one of these now...

The other big shock was his original Boss CE-1 Chorus Ensemble; I'm to even a fan  of chorus but this has some magic, and those warm, seductive analogue tones. I've just bought one - hope mine is as good.

I'm not interested in another delay either, but he kindly lent me his SIB Echodrive to "try" (crafty bastard)... by the next morning I'd bought that too. Possibly the best delay pedal ever...

James is knowledgeable, and full of character and passion for life. Good to be around...

Big thanks to James and Ali for the warm welcome and for opening up their home...

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• James really is a true gentleman, has always been very helpful when I've had questions about gear. Sounds like a great evening...but it's absolutely meaningless without pictures, so @Gassage, do us a favour and let us see those beautiful guitars - particularly the '61! 
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hear hear!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5176
    edited September 2017
    I was under strict instructions to call the Police if I hadn't heard from Waz by Midnight  B
  • tone1 said:
    I was under strict instructions to call the a Police if I hadn't heard from Waz by Midnight  B)
    Tone, it was a close call - I just managed to saw thru the chains 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    tone1 said:
    I was under strict instructions to call the a Police if I hadn't heard from Waz by Midnight  B)
    Why? It was decriminalised in 1967.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    tone1 said:
    Why? It was decriminalised in 1967.
    They decriminalised buying excessive quantities of guitar related gear and obsessing about Gilmour in 1967??
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Man, that Thinline was exquisite... 

It was almost the most perfect pick up sound I've heard 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30935
    edited September 2017
    Including the 1964 Sonic Blue- the 61 has a pickguard swap.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited September 2017
    Something must have rubbed off because soon after I visited James I dreamt I was visiting David Gilmour's house which he was refurbishing and he showed me all is kit he'd accumulated over the years. He even offered me a room in the house to rent lol. David Gilmour's house room that is not James's lol

edit: I'm not that much of a fan of Gilmour's either  ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited September 2017
    Something must have rubbed off because soon after I visited James...
    Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?  ;)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? 
    No what are you thinking ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    Chalky said:
    Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?  ;)

You'd be welcome to think, and I understand you're only human and have such desires, but I can assure you it's totally unrequited.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanDan Frets: 441
    Had a similar experience recently.

Only went round to collect a speaker and I was there for a couple of hours! Genuinely gobsmacked at all the gear he has got, it was like a religious experience. Just epic.

Definitely gassing now for a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe...oh and that blackbird was superb...also the lazy J....then the two strats...tele...oh dear...

James was very welcoming and it was great meeting him. :)
  • Yep Dan, Id forgot to mention the Blackbird - very impressive too.
  • Is that DRRI in the photo the one with the Cornish mods?
    Is that DRRI in the photo the one with the Cornish mods?
    Yeah- also have fitted a 1967 JBL D120F speaker to it. It's a lovely amp. @jimkehoe wanted something less powerful and the Cornish mod puts out a lot of heft.

• Gassage said:
    Yeah- also have fitted a 1967 JBL D120F speaker to it. It's a lovely amp. @jimkehoe wanted something less powerful and the Cornish mod puts out a lot of heft.
    The mods basically add a mids control, don't they, or is it a bit more than just that?
    Gassage said:
    The mods basically add a mids control, don't they, or is it a bit more than just that?
    It's a 6dB Mid boost. Pretty vicious.

• Incoming...

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Incoming...

That looks marginally earlier than mine due the larger high/low switch and the non-chromeline around the LED's and level control.