Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    The trick is to play *with* the other people and that means adjusting what you play to fit with others in real time.

As @Bridgehouse says it’s confidence. The first time I played in public I was so nervous I made a hash of things I’d played perfectly in rehearsals - and that was with a band I knew. 

Nerves are important - they help if you learn to channel them. For example - we used to play White Wedding by Billy Idol. At home I could jam along with it ok but felt a little intimidated trying to play some of the crazy stuff Steve Stevens plays (especially live). When we got out live, the adrenaline kicked in and I’d play these crazy solos with fret tapping and all sorts of trills and flash stuff that isn’t ‘me’ normally. I couldn’t tell you what I played... but it sounded ace! That was pure nerves and adrenaline.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Err....so whats the set list again?.....not sure what Im actually learning really?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    spark240 said:
    Err....so whats the set list again?.....not sure what Im actually learning really?
    I'll post a spreadie up later 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    spark240 said:
    I'll post a spreadie up later 
    Just a list of songs will do nicely thank you very much. 

Spreadie

https://youtu.be/FaUkcd18yjE

NSFW Ozzy Man content 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Plectrum said:
    TADodger said:
    For example, at home I can pretty much nail the intro to Fortunate Son 80% of the time, but at the Jam, no way could I get close. It would have been good to get some thoughts on why and tips for next time to try.

Simple. You haven't practised it enough. If you can't play a piece right every single time at home then you're not going to magically improve when you, possibly nervously, play it in front of others.
    @Plectrum - Missing the point I think. I can sit and practice in my home as often and as long as I like, but the point of the 'beginner' jams is to bring on beginners, so I am simply saying what I think would help with that. 

I have no ambition to play on stage (at the moment). I just want to become a better guitar player by any means that I can, and the Jams are one way to do that.
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    impmann said:
    The trick is to play *with* the other people and that means adjusting what you play to fit with others in real time.

As @Bridgehouse says it’s confidence. The first time I played in public I was so nervous I made a hash of things I’d played perfectly in rehearsals - and that was with a band I knew. 

Nerves are important - they help if you learn to channel them. For example - we used to play White Wedding by Billy Idol. At home I could jam along with it ok but felt a little intimidated trying to play some of the crazy stuff Steve Stevens plays (especially live). When we got out live, the adrenaline kicked in and I’d play these crazy solos with fret tapping and all sorts of trills and flash stuff that isn’t ‘me’ normally. I couldn’t tell you what I played... but it sounded ace! That was pure nerves and adrenaline.
    Thanks @impmannthis is why I think that the sessions outside of the actual songs are important to bring the confidence.

I agree about channelling nerves, maybe not quite the same, but presentations to a hundred people, or having to brief the press or a Minister can see some of the same adrenaline kick in (for better or worse). Can still learn from those with more experience - every day is a school day (sic).
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    edited October 2017
    On the perfect at home, not so in public issue, imho its nerves.

for the run up to the Leicester jam I practiced my 5 guitar songs a lot for a couple of months. I took my fave guitar, a simply awesome amp and an overdrive I knew would work. I used that gear a lot and stored everything else away. i knew the chord progressions and the solos. I was prepared.

On the day I seized up and had really trouble playing cowboy chords. I got better through the day but nowhere near what I can do.

For the bass songs, I got my music man out the week before and selected the challenging songs and learnt them. The easy stuff I looked at the chord charts. For the slower stuff I tried the nxt double. The day before the jam I decided not to take the mm and borrow a bass,.

I ended up busking on the double for most of the songs and apart from really cocking up 2 songs was happy with my performance.

I play guitar all the time and bass 4 times a year if that.

The difference was no nerves.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    TADodger said:
    impmann said:

Thanks @impmannthis is why I think that the sessions outside of the actual songs are important to bring the confidence.

I agree about channelling nerves, maybe not quite the same, but presentations to a hundred people, or having to brief the press or a Minister can see some of the same adrenaline kick in (for better or worse). Can still learn from those with more experience - every day is a school day (sic).
    Good point about the sessions outside of the actual songs.  The "extra room" at Leicester was invaluable to have a first go at playing with others but a much reduced audience and no pressure to perform.  Then when getting up for the real thing it was a bit easier.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I think this was a very useful diversion guys - thanks all. :)

Will look forward to the spreadsheet when it comes up later.  I think the Oasis songs could support a few extra bars if others want a solo?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited October 2017
    I realised something today at around 4 am...

Have you ever been to an 'All you can eat' restaurant, let's say Chinese (something rich and really tasty,...whatever you prefer) and you sit down to your 4th plate full, get 3 mouthfuls in and then think "Oh fuck" !

That's me right now that is.
    Even my strat is looking at me going,.....
    "Hahahahaha,.......we're doing what?........in 5 weeks?......what have you been smoking?"

@darthed1981 ; .....(and anyone else who's feeling the pinch of not playing much recently)...

"Q.E.D." (sometimes written "QED") is an abbreviation for the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum" ("that which was to be demonstrated")
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    edited October 2017
    Alnico said:
    and then think "Oh fuck" !

Every damn day...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mrkb said:

Latest attendees, what they play, ability, and what they are bringing:-

Songs that more than one person want to play - we can add more, or play these twice if needed. Let us know what you can play and we can add them in if we can get others interested. I might have to drop the first two if I cant find anyone else interested as I cant play guitar and drum on them at the same time.

Here are the missing details for aord43 :
    Name: Dave
    Ability: Beginner+
    Guitar: Yes, Bass: No, Drums: No, Vocals: No way!
    Equipment: Roland Micro Cube practice amp

Do we have an updated song list yet?
    aord43 said:
    mrkb said:

Latest attendees, what they play, ability, and what they are bringing:-

Songs that more than one person want to play - we can add more, or play these twice if needed. Let us know what you can play and we can add them in if we can get others interested. I might have to drop the first two if I cant find anyone else interested as I cant play guitar and drum on them at the same time.

Here are the missing details for aord43 :
    Name: Dave
    Ability: Beginner+
    Guitar: Yes, Bass: No, Drums: No, Vocals: No way!
    Equipment: Roland Micro Cube practice amp

Do we have an updated song list yet?
    No. *hangs head in shame*

Been so busy. I will get on it right away boss.
    Just dug out my August 1998 copy of Total Guitar with full transcription and backing tracks for Live Forever :)
    I bought the first 100 issues (and now buy it from time to time) and my wife wonders why I keep them all!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    @aord43 That’s good news - any chance you could photo/scan it and email it to me, so I can send out to the others who want to learn it for the jam session?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799

OK - weekend update,

Attendees update:-

@ttbz @mike_l can you confirm if you are still coming.

@Flink_Poyd @strumjoughlamps @adampeter can you confirm ability and what instruments you play, and what equipment you want to bring.

Song list update:

I think this is about right - that's 9 songs so should a sensible length. Am happy to add in "That's Entertainment" if anyone wants to assist @spark240 on that.

We can run through these a few times if there are songs that more that two/three guitarists want to play on.

@strumjoughlamps @Pablo @adampeter @flink_poyd - you aren't down for any/many songs - can you let me know what you want to play on?

Rough structure will be 30 mins cover versions/30 mins freeform songs - repeated 3 times with 30 mins to setup at beginning and 30 mins to strip down at end. Starts at 1pm ends at 5pm.

We will add in a few more freeform jam songs - I haven't spent much time studying bigjons list (I'm about to join a new band this week so have been otherwise engaged!). Any suggestions welcome - just needs to be a basic chord sequence that people can learn and play riffs/solos basic chords over - those sessions are more about learning/watching how others approach this.

Any other questions let me know!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    @mrkb - good song list! 9 is just perfect.

I will have a look and see if I can cover bass on some of the others too.

@mrkb I'd say beginner+. I'll bring my Core ID 20. I'll confirm songs this week

Done quickly Spotify play list if anyone wants it. Ray Lamontagne Jolene is missing as I can't find it. 
    https://open.spotify.com/user/kelvstevo/playlist/0ay50ic26IhYW3yrVVZZid?si=I38dH3ym

Done quickly Spotify play list if anyone wants it. Ray Lamontagne Jolene is missing as I can't find it. 
    https://open.spotify.com/user/kelvstevo/playlist/0ay50ic26IhYW3yrVVZZid?si=I38dH3ym
    I think me and @Alnico we're thinking of the live version he did with full backing. I will see if I can find it anywhere