Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Northampton Jam Session - Sunday 3rd December - 1 to 5pm

What's Hot

Comments

• BroccoBrocco Frets: 88
    @TTony - Hi Tony, hoping that you can help us set up a closed group?
    Many thanks, Ian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27474
    What do you want to do with a "closed group" @Brocco?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    a collaboration space for the less experienced players attending the Northampton jam with the aim of helping each other out on specific track-related challenges ahead of the event. Probably a lot of basic stuff to be shared that could frustrate the wider group (maybe not?). The aim is to arrive at Northampton as prepared as possible and limit the on-the-day help required from the Pro players amongst us.
    I'd suggest that it all stays public, but in a separate thread rather than this one.  Perhaps call it "Northampton Jam Prep" or suchlike.

That way anyone can ask, and anyone can answer. 

A large point of these jam sessions is to get everyone up and playing, even those who don't feel hugely confident to begin with.    Seeing what happens, and the support given, will only encourage others (who are or feel themselves to be less confident / experienced / whatever) to attend other jam sessions.

IMHO ... 
    happy with that Tony. wanted to avoid potentially frustrating some members of the group. no issues with the questions and exchanges being out in the open.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Some real-life encouragement for anyone of any skill level...

For a start, these 'Labels' have only been created to match people up in a Very rough scale of ability so don't read too much into them. You will certainly find that within each 'Category' will be the same feelings of self-doubt and/or sonic nirvana.

I'm very flattered to be referred to as a "Pro", even though I haven't done much to support that in the last few years.
    Behind the scenes I have a band that's focussed purely on writing songs to record for at least the foreseeable future before we think about playing anything live, so in some ways I suppose I'm doing something worthwhile but it's been (through circumstance) a long time since I've played live at all and in that time I've been through quite a few physical and mental fairground rides with my health so I have no idea what to expect of myself on the day. I might surprise myself or I might Really feel the effect of so much time away from the proverbial 'Stage', so to speak.

I interpret the term Pro (Ability) to mean that if needed, with enough dedicated time (Fully dedicated, all-day-every-day-dedicated)  I could step up to a Pro level Gig of some description and hold enough of my own to make a good job of it. I'm not world class but when life gives me the chance to focus on it, I'm not too shabby either and I learn quickly,.......so in that way, I like to think I could be "Pro" with nothing more than some dedicated time to practice properly.

So, you 'Beginners'......does that help knowing that at least one of your "Pro's" is going into this thinking........"This is going to be interesting!"

Because I Promise you all,.....that's exactly what it'll be like for me.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6799
    Remember I only used the term ‘pro’ to differentiate the people who had played in public from the rest to make the spreadsheet easier to write.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    Brocco said:
    Just wondering if any other "improvers" woukd be interested in a side-thread aimed at sharing knowledge and challenges on tracks agreed for the Northampton jam?
    That would be yes for me, thanks.
    I was looking for the Jolene track?

Not on the playlist, nor anywhere else on Spotify that I could see??
    TTony said:
    I was looking for the Jolene track?

Not on the playlist, nor anywhere else on Spotify that I could see??

Its an "ask @Alnico special" - winks and taps the side of my nose.....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Has anyone dared ask???
    Couple of questions for the group on specific tracks. For example in Leicester we played Fortunate Son in standard tuning but believe the original recording was in D standard - what tuning will we use for this track?  Stay With Me was recorded in E open - will we use this tuning or an alterative?
    Ive got the file, but I daren't play it as it might summon the demons from the deep!!! I can only play it backwards!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @TTony - I will send the special file to you later to your email. 

Draw the curtains first...
    Brocco said:
    Couple of questions for the group on specific tracks. For example in Leicester we played Fortunate Son in standard tuning but believe the original recording was in D standard - what tuning will we use for this track?  Stay With Me was recorded in E open - will we use this tuning or an alterative?

If you already know Fortunate Son in standard, then play it in that - there's no point making it more difficult if you already know it.

Not sure about "Stay with Me" - my drums should be able to play it in any key... @bridgehouse @Alnico - what do you advise?

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    mrkb said:
    Brocco said:

If you already know Fortunate Son in standard, then play it in that - there's no point making it more difficult if you already know it.

Not sure about "Stay with Me" - my drums should be able to play it in any key... @bridgehouse @Alnico - what do you advise?

I'd learn it as per the recording ;)

But then the bass will be in standard tuning ;)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited November 2017
    mrkb said:
    Brocco said:

I'd learn it as per the recording

But then the bass will be in standard tuning
    Play it in Open E.
    It'll sound wrong in Std.

EDIT: That's for rhythm guitar.
    Lead guitar stays in Std tuning.
  • Brocco said:
    Just wondering if any other "improvers" woukd be interested in a side-thread aimed at sharing knowledge and challenges on tracks agreed for the Northampton jam?
    yeah that would be of interest
    Personally i'm crapping myself thinking of standing up and playing in front of people i don't really know!!
    I go to pieces even when i play at home and sense someone is listening!!
    Hoping this will will get me to get over it.
    bizarrely i have no problem singing in front of people....go figure  :p