Anyone used a Cort Curbow? "Luthite" body and "ebonite" fretboard!

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
In my local shop the other day and spotted a Cort Curbow for £199. long story short: played it, fell in love with it, saving up to buy it. 
Thing that interests me though, is the "Luthite" body it's made of. There's no info on what it's actually made of, or how it ages :P 
Anyone had any experience with these instruments? 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I played a couple when they were new-ish, but not seen one for a few years.

As far as I know the body is some sort of composite wood fibre/resin material - which means it should be very consistent in the long term. The 'ebonite' fingerboard is probably similar or identical to 'Richlite' which is the same sort of thing… it's often disparagingly referred to as "glue impregnated paper", and in terms of being made from wood fibre and resin is sort-of true but that doesn't explain it properly. Modern composite materials are very strong and stable - it's not going to 'age' in the way wood does, but it won't have any of the problems associated with that either.

If you like the feel and the sound of it, buy it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    OK, Cheers guys :) Fingers crossed I'll have a NBD sometime soon!

'Awibble'
  • They're ok, I think they're similar to the Ibanez Egrodyne series.

I've played a few Corts in shops when they came out, and preferred the ergonomics of the Ibanez.

I don't think £200 is a great price, they weren't that expensive new (£300 rings a bell?), and didn't sell that well.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Found an identical one, but fretless for 300. Gawd, I wish I had enough money for both... 
    How hard would it be to learn to slap on fretless? 
    'Awibble'
  • Hertz32 said:
    Found an identical one, but fretless for 300. Gawd, I wish I had enough money for both... 
    How hard would it be to learn to slap on fretless? 
    I found it more difficult, but that's because my genuinely tiny hands struggle for hammers at the low end of things and frets give you a bit of leeway in falling slightly short of perfect!

You need to learn to hit where the fret is, rather than just behind it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    I just sold my fretless today. I'm not good enough at it to risk playing live with it! I need my close enough for rock 'n' roll frets ;).

I thought I was doing OK when I was jamming along to records and stuff, but it's deceptive - I took it to work on some songs with my singer who is learning to play acoustic guitar last week, and it was painfully obvious how bad my intonation was in that exposed format. I know, it's a cop-out not learning to be a better musician...

... but now I have only one bass again and order is restored to the world :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein