2 speaker cabs 1 head

What's Hot
CastroCastro Frets: 512
People!

If I have two separate 1x12 cabs rated at 8 ohms each and an amp head with one 4ohm one 8ohm and one 16ohm input, is it possible to use both cabs?

Thank you in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Yes, but unless either of the cabs has two jacks, you will need a splitter cable. The two cabs together give a combined load of 4 ohms so you need to connect the pair to that output.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Thanks ICBM each cab has just 1 jack so a splitter cable it will need to be.

Much appreciated.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I bought a Palmer Cab Merge box for around £20 to do this

Image result for palmer cab merger

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CastroCastro Frets: 512
    Thanks 57Deluxe
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    ICBM said:
    I'd be more impressed with that if they could spell parallel :).

Hah! The danger with speakers in series externally is the increased risk of an open circuit load. That box plus an amp and two cabs gives you 4 more chances of a blown amp than one speaker (if my pre lunch 'rithmetic is right!)

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    ecc83 said:

The danger with speakers in series externally is the increased risk of an open circuit load. That box plus an amp and two cabs gives you 4 more chances of a blown amp than one speaker (if my pre lunch 'rithmetic is right!)
    I agree. Especially as it looks like the switching is achieved with jack contacts, which are notoriously poor for that - the modern Marshall 4x12"s with the 4/16/mono/stereo input panels being a good example.

As usual there is a 'good way' and a 'bad way' of wiring the series connection too, which will either halve or double the risk of a failure.

If it was me I'd just make a box with three jacks in parallel and not worry about the series option - or just a decent splitter cable.