Power supplies...I know nothing. help?

Hi all,

So I'm building a pedal board...Pedaltrain Metro 24, so not huge, probably 6-7 pedals max. But it needs to be quite versatile, as this board may be my acoustic board, or my smaller electric board, depending on the situation. It also needs to be able to switch countries, since I am planning to take it abroad to Bermuda in a few months to gig there (it’s my old home, not just a random gig destination).

If it had a 9-18v output for pedals that take advantage of that, which I have one of, I’d be extra pleased.

So…suggestions?

Anyone selling?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    The Gigrig system can be configured to cover all your needs and copes with different supply voltages. It's pricey but works well from my experience. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Voodoo Labs Mono or 4x4. I think they can be switched from 220v to 120v when you're in other countries.
  • JEPBLEPJEPBLEP Frets: 188
    I would get a Strymon Zuma - it has 9 outputs, two of them switchable between 9v, 12v, and 18v. All of them capable of delivering up to 500 mAh, so if you have analog pedals, you can daisy chain from each of these 9 outputs.

And if that still isn't enough, that 24V out can power a Strymon Ojai, which delivers an additional five 500mAh outputs:

• I saw the Strymon Zuma
    also and I am tempted. Anyone know if it fits under a metro 24 though? Those things are pretty close to the ground lol.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I saw the Strymon Zuma
    also and I am tempted. Anyone know if it fits under a metro 24 though? Those things are pretty close to the ground lol.
    I don't think it does, no.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Cioks DC5... fits a charm under the smaller Pedaltrains and offers various voltage options. Add a GigRig Isolator for extra isolated outs.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    simonk said:
    Cioks DC5... fits a charm under the smaller Pedaltrains and offers various voltage options. Add a GigRig Isolator for extra isolated outs.
    ^^^ PT Metro + DC5 is a wonderful thing.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

Bermuda is nominally 110 V 60Hz so get a Switch Mode PSU. These should cope with 100 to 250V 50/60Hz.

Dave.

• Beexter said:
    The Gigrig system can be configured to cover all your needs and copes with different supply voltages. It's pricey but works well from my experience. 
    Spend as much as you can, as cutting corners may cost down the line...

Im with @Beexter here, go for the Gigrig 
  • I've heard of the truetone one-spot pro brick...that appeals and is a bit cheaper haha. But not ruling out the Zuma
  • Cioks all the way.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    I've just seen these Nordell Audio PSUs on amazon. Lots of people saying it delivers noise free power with lots of outputs. Any thoughts on these anyone?
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @TeleMaster  They're not properly isolated. It's the same as daisy chaining, could be silent, could be noisy.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10209
    I've bought one. I'll let you know!

lots and lots of positive reviews though. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    I'd tend to steer away from those power supplies which run off a 9V wall-wart.

Also, ones with isolated outputs can be joined (ie. 2 x 9V = 18 V), whereas ones with a common -ve can't.
  • Stay clear of Diago - absolute junk IMO and James is a nightmare to deal with if anything happens.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited September 2017

Pedaltrain Metro 24, so not huge, probably 6-7 pedals max...

If it had a 9-18v output for pedals that take advantage of that, which I have one of, I’d be extra pleased.

I'm gigging a Metro 24 and the Cioks DC5 definitely fits under it. 
    I'm running 9 units including a Strymon; two Catalinbreads, one at 18v the other at 12v; and three other pedals at 12v (only one needs it but the others can handle it and are on the same daisy).
    About the only thing I'd suggest if getting the Cioks is to order some extra connecting leads in various lengths/ splitter combinations.  Probably doesn't matter if you plan well and don't re-configure your board often but they are handy if you like re-arranging things.
    And something daft I like to do: get a few bottles of really bright nail polish in different colours -- makes working out what pedal is plugged into what power output really easy.

• You're going to hear all sorts of suggestions but nobody can help you zoom in on the right one without knowing what particular pedals you have in mind.

Yes needs to be isolated.

But for instance a 9v only psu can be used for 18v with a voltage doubler cable, so yes spending can be good advice but you can easily spend a lot more than you'll ever actually need.