Quilter 101, Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 20, other minis?

What's Hot
Hi all,

So, I'm on the look out for a mini head of some kind. My reasoning is rather specific. I'm blind, and often go to jam sessions using public transport...you can instantly see the problem. I need to slim what I carry to the maximum extent possible, even if that effects tone. I also cannot use multi FX (most of them anyway) as they require sight. I've looked atht eh Quilter 101 mini, as that would fit right on my board, meaning I can carry the board and guitar on my back, cane in one hand, 1x12 in the other. But it has no direct to PA option, which I'd rather like for convenience where PA is available, so I've been thinking about the new Tubemeister 20...its not pedalboard sized but it is tiny. Anything else I should be thinking about?
Don't get me wrong I love good tone...but no point having the best tone in the world if you're stuck in the living room to hear it. And I'd be on the Kemper/Ax bandwagon in a second if I could use them, but I cannot. So I need to get clever.

Thanks

Matt
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could consider a Hughes and Kettner Red Box direct box after the Quilter. Speaker out from the amp goes to the Red Box which has speaker through (to your speaker) and speaker-emulated line out (to the PA).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • you make a great point
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Tech 21 pedal and ehx magnum 44 both on the board? Run the tech 21 either direct to pa or through the exh.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Run the Quilter through a Palmer PDI09. That's what I do when I need a direct feed. The Palmer lives in the back of the cab.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Or, most of the slightly bigger Quilters have a DI out... ProBlock, OD200 etc
  • so many options :) thanks. I'm still waiting for accessible multi fx hahah. I can dream anyway.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited September 2017
    I had the Tubemeister 18 which, whilst a super amp, I just didn't quite gel with - just personal tastes, but it wasn't quite 'juicy' enough, more a hi-fi sort of sound. Hard to explain. The Redbox was very good though, worked very well. Worth you checking out for sure, you'll see what I mean about the tone. You'll either like it or you won't. Or you'll think it'll grow on you, which is what I did - lesson learned. 

I flogged it in the end and put the proceeds towards a Mesa Mini Rectifier which gives that dirty, souped-up Marshall thing I didn't realise I wanted but, as it turns out, really did - no DI option though. 
  • sorry mate, as prev mentioned, I'm blind, and the helix...doesn't work well for us I'm afraid, as not even the software is accessible
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    sorry mate, as prev mentioned, I'm blind, and the helix...doesn't work well for us I'm afraid, as not even the software is accessible
    I know, I'm sorry, edited that bit out too late as reread your post and the bit about multifx accessibility. My bad!
  • no worries :)
  • Quilter pro block. I have one it's wonderful
  • DV Mark Micro 50 might be worth a look. 
  • An egnator tweaker 15 head is small and lightweight, easily fits in a rucksack and sounds great.
  • Exorcist said:
    An egnator tweaker 15 head is small and lightweight, easily fits in a rucksack and sounds great.
    Good shout. I've always liked Egnaters but the 15 head isn't quite as small as the DV Marks or the Quilters. And it's a lot heavier. 
  • Bluguitar amp1? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • Exorcist said:
    An egnator tweaker 15 head is small and lightweight, easily fits in a rucksack and sounds great.
    Good shout. I've always liked Egnaters but the 15 head isn't quite as small as the DV Marks or the Quilters. And it's a lot heavier. 
    Ah OK, Its like a feather compared to most fullsize heads (and a little smaller than the tubemeister 20 I think). I have a little palmer Eins, and that really IS tiny, it is only 1watt though, and although pretty loud through a 4x12 I don't think it could cut it with a drummer sadly, or it would be perfect.
  • Chiming in here to say I'm very happy with my Quilter 101 mini head. I'm using it with an Orange PPC1x12 and it's loud. I can keep it loud and clean or get that just breaking up sound.
    It doesn't sound like a tube amp obviously. I'm using pedals with it. Highly recommend. Light too!