Lc30 amp

I've just picked up a laney lc 30 for £150.
The reverb on it isnt working so i'll get that seen too.
Anyone got an opinion on them and how do they compare to the vc30?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ive got a VC30, i think the diffeence is the LC30 has got more gain?
  • LC &VC are very different amps. 

The LC is a two channel, more modern and compressed sound. The VC is more vintage and chimey and is a split channel design. I prefer the VC as it takes pedals better and definitely feels louder.
  • If it's just the reverb tank that's gone they're usually quite easy to replace if you can find the correct replacement unit for it. If you've got another amp with reverb you might be able to remove the Laney's RCA lead from the reverb unit and plug it into the other amp's reverb tank, and then the return lead from the other amp's reverb back to the Laney. Then play your guitar through the Laney and if you can hear the reverb working from the other amp it's the Laney tank that's gone. If you remove the Laney tank it should have a code number etched on it, or a label, and if you google that you should be able to find a new tank. I replaced the reverb on a Carvin combo of mine a few years ago and was able to do it successfully like this even with my ham-fisted skills and complete lack of electronic knowledge. It was also satisfying to do and a lot cheaper than sending it to an amp repairer! If it's not the tank, then I wouldn't know where to start! Good luck.

Someone a lot more knowledgeable than me will probably come on now and say you just need to replace a 50p fuse or summat simple! 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Thanks for the info.
    With the LC30, if the valves need changing do they need biasing or can they just be swapped?
  • No idea I'm afraid. Calling @ICBM ; :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339

With the LC30, if the valves need changing do they need biasing or can they just be swapped?
    It's cathode biased so they can just be swapped. It uses a common cathode resistor so a matched set is best.

A dead reverb is very likely to be the tank - although check the RCA plugs are tight and that a wire hasn't come off inside first. If you need a replacement, get a TAD/Ruby one and not a Belton/Accutronics - the modern Accutronics tanks have a design fault which makes them prone to failure.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein