Metalzone Question

What's Hot
UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
Yeah yeah, tin of bees, whatever.

I've seen people talk about using the metalzone as an EQ because the parametric EQ on it is so powerful.

Does this mean that if you turn the gain all the way down you can use it as a (clean) para EQ? Or is there always some level of distortion? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Brian Wampler did a video of midfield no a metal zone to an eq pedal. 
    Im not sure how much signsl you will get out of it at min gain/max output. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28173

Does this mean that if you turn the gain all the way down you can use it as a (clean) para EQ? Or is there always some level of distortion? 
    If you really spank the input it'll clip eventually, but with the gain on 0 it'll go pretty loud without any dirt. You can also snip out the clipping diodes.

It's a remarkably useful pedal.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    The single biggest mistake made with Metalzones is the use of too much gain from the pedal. Use no more than 2/3rds of the gain available into a (slightly) crunchy amp, and you have a very useable fuzzy distortion.

And yes, the EQ section is fantastic for a (relatively) cheap pedal.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• There are  surprising range of sounds in it, from absolutely terrible to useful in many different scenarios.  I figure the name, and the ease at which you could potentially make it sound awful are the reasons for it's bad rep, but it's honestly not that bad at all
  • The cheap behringer copy gets rave reviews on Amazon if that helps anyone
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • Yes it's a very good eq. I used to use it in an fx loop to do just that after thinking it was an awful distortion. Haven't had one for years so I can't recall if you can get it totally clean or not and i was using it in a dirty amp so wasnt too bothered if it was a little bit dirty but that eq is very powerful and useful.