5150 III 50w vs Friedman Runt vs ???

MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1132
Has anyone had both the EVH 50w and a Friedman Runt ?

I had a 100w EVH and it was a great amp, but too big for what I need now. I had a Friedman PT20 that was awesome at home but really struggled with a full band... so i'm looking for a 2/3 channel 50w head that has a nice Fendery clean and a modded Marshall Gain channel - and that isn't silly money....

:)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've not owned them, but i did test them back to back before i bought a Jubilee mini.

The runt was a bit of a let down, i've played the Dirty Shirley and Smallbox Friedmans a lot, so i was expecting an amp thats as easy and rewarding to play through as those. It wasn't, it felt much stiffer and subdued, plus it was a bit noisy at higher gain settings.
     The 5153 50w is great, as long as you're prepared to treat it as a two channel amp rather than a three.

If i was after those kinds of tones i'd be looking for a used Diesel Einstein 50, Orange Rocker 30 or the Brunetti Pleximan.

• Boogie Express 5:50 springs to mind.  The regular (not +) models are going for £5-600.
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I've played the Runt, own a Pink Taco and my best mate had he 5150 50w for a while... 

the Pink Taco is louder than the Runt and waaaay more organic so if the Taco didn't do it for you, the Runt is out IMO. 

I really like the 5150 - at bedroom volumes the volume jump on the blue channel is horrendous, however at gig volumes it's less noticeable (but still there). It'll definitely hang with a live band on any of its channels. I would say though that only the medium gain 'Blue' channel is really great, but the other two do very passable high gain and clean tones, if a little sterile. Probably the best 'do it all' box without getting in to boutique territory though. I think looking at your requirements it's probably your best bet. 
  • i can fix the volume drop issue with my FX8 so that's not a problem. I've read a lot of similar things about the Runt not feeling like the other Friedmans which is good to know - i loved the PT, it just wasn;t loud enough with a full band, but for tone and feel it was awesome.

i'll check out a 5150 and keep an eye out for a Friedman Smallbox too

I've tried a Mesa Express and that gain channel is not what i'm after ( i have a Lonestar too)

I did have an Orange Rockerverb 50 in the past and it was a great amp

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I've been looking at the Rockerverb MK 3 aswell.

Seems a lot of amp for the money.

I owned the Runt and it was ok but neither channel was as good as I wanted.

Tried plenty of 5150s and it's an amp I've always though should suit me yet never been convinced enough to buy one.

Currently own a Jackson Ampworks El Guapo that will do the Marshall side but not a proper clean but Peach ate selling them off at £1679 and that's just a stupid price for it.
  • DanR said:

Tried plenty of 5150s and it's an amp I've always though should suit me yet never been convinced enough to buy one.

Currently own a Jackson Ampworks El Guapo that will do the Marshall side but not a proper clean but Peach ate selling them off at £1679 and that's just a stupid price for it.

I think @Drew_TNBD has both the 50 watt EVH and the Rockerverb Mark 3.
  • NelsonP said:
    The 50cal is a great amp but doesn't really do the Marshall thing. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    DanR said:

I think @Drew_TNBD has both the 50 watt EVH and the Rockerverb Mark 3.
    I do indeed.

They're different beasts.
  • There have bèen some minor changes to the Runts since they were first introduced. Someone asked Dave Friedman about it on one of the forums he frequents asking if it was true they had increased the gain. He confirmed there had been a change but was to thicken the tone rather than an increase in gain.
  • i wonder why they sound/feel different than the hand wired versions - it can;t be just a PCB vs hand-wiring, there must be other components that are different too

• 5150 III 50 watt heads are  great amps... Never had a problem with the so called volume jump between channel 1 and 2. I have only used this amp at gig volume with bands so maybe the difference is greater when used at lower volumes in the home, for example ?

• jaysmith said:
    5150 III 50 watt heads are  great amps... Never had a problem with the so called volume jump between channel 1 and 2. I have only used this amp at gig volume with bands so maybe the difference is greater when used at lower volumes in the home, for example ?

I agree i didn notice the jump when I tried one out at shop volume. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • i have the EVH now - volume jump is very apparent, but i have my FX8 solving it and also doing MIDI channel switching so it's working great at the moment.

• I'm sure I read somewhere that that volume problem can be solved by replacing a vol pot with a dual gang pot, which would obviously give you a separate vol pot for each channel.  Sorry, don't know any further details.
  • you just need to be able to boost the volume in the loop, which is easy with a switcher or decent multi FX (FX8/Helix)

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    Suhr Badger or Victory Sherriff 44?