Tele 4 way switch diagram

My pick up selector on the CV has stopped selecting the neck so have bought a 4 way switch as thought it would add a bit of spice but didn't think that it might be a sod to install, does anyone have a 4 way switch install/idiots guide?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What do you have in mind for the fourth selection?

Most of the things that you might want to do involve modifying the connections on the neck position pickup. Essentially, you interrupt the grounding connection between the metal pickup cover and the black/ground output conductor wire of the pickup. It becomes necessary to add a separate ground wire between the pickup cover and a pot chassis in the control cavity.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • A Guitar Is For Life 
    Not Just For Christmas
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 628
    To be honest I had not really thought about it, Just knew I wanted a switch that worked then saw the 4 way option and like the idea of a humbucker type sound.

Have had a hunt and found this, I presume it is the one on here?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/seymour-w-duncan/three-cool-alternate-wiring-schemes-for-telecaster

• Or this. https://goo.gl/images/SQKVkD
    You will need to seperate the earth on the neck pickup cover though
    A Guitar Is For Life 
    Not Just For Christmas
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    The CV may have a separate ground wire to the bridge already, in which case it's easier to reverse the switch wiring and make the bridge pickup the upper coil in series. That also puts the 'loud' setting at the bridge end, which I find much more logical than at the neck end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 762
    edited September 2017
    @Tone71 this is my favourite guitar wiring site:

https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/home

As others have said, you will need to disconnect/ run a separate earth to the neck pickup cover. Also, be aware that the standard 4-way switch wiring is prone to noise when the bridge pickup is selected alone. This is because the neck hot is always connected to the output (neck pickup is effectively selected by connecting or lifting earth). When the bridge pickup alone is selected the neck pickup earth is lifted, and since the neck pickup is connected to the output but not earthed it acts as an aerial and introduces noise. There is a minor modification to the standard 4-way wiring which ties both ends of the neck pickup together when the bridge pickup is selected to overcome this problem, and there is a nice diagram for it on the site above.

Also, if you snip the short link between the earth side of the neck pickup and its cover, ensure you cut close to the earth wire end (near the eyelet), such that you leave most of the wire link attached to the pickup cover - this will give you something to solder a new wire onto if you decide to run a separate earth to the cover (some people choose not to connect the neck pickup cover to earth, and feel the neck pickup sounds more open if the cover isn't earthed).