Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can a man splurge a grand plus on a pro tele when he is, at best, a competent player

What's Hot

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    Gassage said:
    Oh for sure.

I'm not even competant yet my strat is worth more than both of my cars.
    Good man - That's what I like to hear!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Russell Howard collects guitars ( I'm not quite sure what but let's assume relatively posh stuff) but can't play a note.

That might be the end of my relationship with the guitar. 

Whereas I am a guitar God and I have really cheap stuff :blush: 

Lol - those guitars are lucky to have you Eric! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Russell Howard collects guitars ( I'm not quite sure what but let's assume relatively posh stuff) but can't play a note.
    He really ought to invest any spare cash in people who can write comedy for him....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    I'll let you know when my Ryder Les Paul is ready (in 12 months or so....)
    I love guitars, and I am happy to play Summer of 69 and be damned what other people think.

Adam

That might be the end of my relationship with the guitar. 

Whereas I am a guitar God and I have really cheap stuff :blush: 

Lol - those guitars are lucky to have you Eric! 

Russell Howard collects guitars ( I'm not quite sure what but let's assume relatively posh stuff) but can't play a note.
    He really ought to invest any spare cash in people who can write comedy for him....
    Wisdoms given for both of those... :smirk: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can a man splurge a grand plus on a pro tele when he is, at best, a competent player

Can a woman? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you

• Well...my approach to the guitar is perhaps best described as "more enthusiasm than ability", but f*ck it, that wouldn't stop me spending £1K+ on yet another peculiar instrument (Kramer XL-5 or maybe another SynthAxe?).

Just do it. You're a long time dead. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ellwoodellwood Frets: 1113
    Absolutely - I know someone with about a dozen high end guitars who's a fucking dreadful player.

Strictly speaking we haven't actually met yet....

But you have me pretty much nailed!

• Yes. Buy what you want/can afford.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    My collection of six electrics and one acoustic add up to over four grand and I'm barely competent enough to play in a bad punk band,but I love the instrument and the pleasure I get out of playing,however badly.

I can afford it and we don't really go without.The kids are learning to live with the rickets though it does sometimes hamper their earning potential.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    Compare with the cost of golf ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    a nice guitar would make me determined to improve so that I could fully enjoy what it had to offer...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    My collection of six electrics and one acoustic add up to over four grand and I'm barely competent enough to play in a bad punk band,but I love the instrument and the pleasure I get out of playing,however badly.

I can afford it and we don't really go without.The kids are learning to live with the rickets though it does sometimes hamper their earning potential.
    Get them out begging, mate. I was in Barcelona a couple of years ago. Place us crawling with deformed beggars. You'll soon be able to buy another top end guitar!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

•  its true, live I play a Mexican tele I've modded - but I think most people can't tell the difference between cheap and expensive Tele's - thats the appeal for me - not very ostentatious.

Of course, and if you play in a band, even more so.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    A good quality instrument will inspire you to play more & you will get better as a result.
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    edited September 2017
    I look at it like this. You can have a spare £1000 in a saving account which will be doing basically nothing. Not earning much interest and basically just a number in a book. Or it can be the guitar of your dreams which you get a huge amount of satisfaction from owning and playing. Plus where's your £1000 gone? It's out of a book been a number and in your hands in form of a guitar that's worth....... £1000! 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    If this is going to turn into a merit based system then I'm screwed. I'll be seeing out my playing days on a plywood bolt neck Satellite Les Paul copy through a Gorilla practice amp..

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    usedtobe said:

Get them out begging, mate. I was in Barcelona a couple of years ago. Place us crawling with deformed beggars. You'll soon be able to buy another top end guitar!
    I usually find pickpocketing reaps far greater rewards.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    A nice Tele is a level 4 guitar.
    Have you passed the exam?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom