Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can a man splurge a grand plus on a pro tele when he is, at best, a competent player

What's Hot

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited September 2017
    Absolutely. I got one a few months ago and I love it. My main gigging guitar. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited September 2017
    DrBob said:
    If this is going to turn into a merit based system then I'm screwed. I'll be seeing out my playing days on a plywood bolt neck Satellite Les Paul copy through a Gorilla practice amp..

who was it asking for ideas on a starter setup yesterday??  = sales oppo right there! - -oh yes @@rorytaylor54321 ;

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    If this is going to turn into a merit based system then I'm screwed. I'll be seeing out my playing days on a plywood bolt neck Satellite Les Paul copy through a Gorilla practice amp..

Alright, there's no need to rub it in.

The best I could hope for would be a choice of colour....

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    re:OP - absafeckinlutely ! The whole industry is stuffed otherwise.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    well, are all ferrari and lamborghini drivers professional racers? do you have to be a model to wear designer clothes? As long you can afford it, aren't making your kids starve and enjoy the guitar... who cares what perceived wisdom states. there is an argument that if you have a well setup and easy to play guitar, it makes learning easier. 
    agree with this thought

add to that - hopefully everyday you own it you can enjoy time playing it and such  a nice guitar should inspire you - If the guitar is better than you then you know you can progress and grow into it - You can never justify buying a guitar based on your ability (or very hard to justify it) but you buy it for the pleasure it will deliver over the coming years

For the record, I've never yet found a guitar, of any price, that on many occasions throws up a wrong note or two and generally when you least expect them - But no warranty covers such faults 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Maybe you should be thinking of buying a Gibson to help them in their hour of need :)
    A good guitar certainly won't hinder your playing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I buy and sell guitars all the time because every time I get my hands on a new (to me) one it inspires me to play more and explore what it can do non matter how expensive that guitar is.

Im an average player but if I had been sensible and stuck with just one decent guitar then I think the thrill would diminish , I'd play less and be ever worse a player.

Buy whatever you can afford and don't be afraid to change it if it's not inspiring you to play more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you enjoy it, who the hell cares. I know I can slay on bass after learning it properly, and being in countless bands. I can honestly say that is my 'thing' and I totally understand how to be a good bassist.

Guitar? I'm learning. But we all have to learn. Thing is, I don't have 1 hour a day to play like I did when I was young, so it is slow, but I KNOW I'm getting slowly better. I can feel it when I play.

Enjoy it. Guitars are usually a decent investment if you are careful.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I tell the wife having nice guitars is like having money in the bank. Next up Gibson acoustic 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    How many people spend big money on a nice watch like Breitling?  Or spend it on a Merc instead of a Ford?  Why not spend it on a guitar instead?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • All the gear - no idea.......
    I suck and own 12 guitars bro.  None of mine are "expensive" but that is only because I haven't found an expensive one yet that made me want to spent out megabucks.

Two things to remember, one mathematical, one philosophical...

The ideal number of guitars is N + 1, where N is the number you currently own.

Life is short... buy the guitar.

Seriously, if you can afford it, and not do your family out of what they need, and not run up silly debts, then you clearly have a decently paid job and work hard and you deserve a treat! :)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Yes, why the hell not! I've felt most unworthy of the best guitars I have owned over the years but that didn't make me bat an eyelid in terms of buying them. 

My only concern would be pulling them out of the case in front of a musician and them thinking I was better than I am. As it happens that is very rare as I have never found another musician up in my bedroom.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thinking about this: asking on a guitar forum if you should buy another guitar may not get an unbiased response. Maybe sign up at a basket weaving forum and ask on there. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Never stops people buying expensive cars and plenty of people in those aren't necessarily great drivers 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited September 2017
    rico said:ki
    Absolutely. I got one a few months ago and I love it. My main gigging guitar. 

Just checking - you have taken the sticker off it now though, right? ;-)
  • You think with the state of the economy as it is any guitar shop is going to refuse to take your money because you aren't good enough for the guitar you're about to buy?

If the money's in the bank, it isn't needed for something important first, and anyone you share financial decision making with (wife/girlfriend/partner... mum ;) ) is on board, do it.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    All the gear - no idea.......
    Oi !!!! I resemble that remark ;)

(and I dabble with golf too :( )
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    crunchman said:
    How many people spend big money on a nice watch like Breitling? 
    Yeah, but I'm fucking awesome at reading the time!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Think on...if you don't buy things when you can afford, you'll have f**k all to sell when your arse is in the gutter!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited September 2017
    Yes buy it, I buy loads of stuff and I'm pretty shit at anything beyond Slayer riffs and a few Guns n Roses solos