Changed strings on a Bigsby guitar for the first time the other day...

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
... I almost didn't post this thread because I know it's a trigger for some, but it's easy. I was expecting it to be fiddly, it's not. Which is a relief. What's supposed to be difficult about it?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    edited September 2017
    Yep,can't see what all the fuss is about.A little bend in the string at the ball end and you're good to go.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Try it with slot head tuners sometime....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    Cirrus said:
    ... I almost didn't post this thread because I know it's a trigger for some, but it's easy. I was expecting it to be fiddly, it's not. Which is a relief. What's supposed to be difficult about it?
    there is a knack which I dare say is easier to do than explain - one key point is to keep the tension on the string as you are winding it on the tuners, to stop it slipping off the Bigsby ball end post - I just lift the string above the fingerboard and allow it to come down as the string is tuned up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    There are a myriad of "tricks" - kinking the string an 15mm or so from the ball end to keep it on the bar's pin, putting a pencil eraser between the ball end and the guitar body to stop the string popping off, kinking the string and the tuning post, putting a capo on behind the nut. Tried em all. Locking tuners can really help.

I just kink the string at the ball end. I still don't particularly enjoy changing strings on a Bigsby. 
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    Try it with slot head tuners sometime....
    Makes no difference.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I hate it with a passion. Done it a million times and have barely improved my technique.  It's like you need 3 arms.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    How many people did you have around to help you?
    I've heard it takes a minimum crew of 6 experienced luthiers to carry out this precision operation.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    It's hard to pay for the whole new guitar that often. Did you re-buy the same one or get something different?
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    I hate it with a passion. Done it a million times and have barely improved my technique.  It's like you need 3 arms.

Zen and the art of bigsby maintenance :-)
  • Sassafras said:
    I've heard it takes a minimum crew of 6 experienced luthiers to carry out this precision operation.
    Last time, I had Leo Fender, Ted Mcarty and Paul Reed Smith over my shoulder, bickering abut the best way to do it. 

It was no help at all tbh 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    No no no... It takes 1 to do it, and 5 to stand around commenting "see, it's easy really"...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    It was a real emotional rollercoaster. I started with the low E, and as I was wrapping it round the peg, it slipped off the bigsby. So, holding the string at the peg with one hand, I had to move my OTHER hand all the way back to the bridge, and slip the ball end back onto the bigsby. After that is was like I'd become a magician... it just felt easy.

All jokes aside, I did get a shock when the whole assembly swung away from the guitar body once I'd got the old strings off. I had no idea they weren't attached to the front of the guitar!
  • Never had an issue, I just kink the string.  It's obviously a lot easier if you remove then replace the strings one at a time to keep the Bigsby in place.
    I'm starting a new business,  "The Sassafras Bigsby New String Service"
    All 6 strings changed for a paltry £75 not including strings.
    Sassafras said:
    It is true that there is someone I work for who pays me to restring his guitars with Floyds! He probably would if he had one with a Bigsby too - he did, but sold it before it needed restringing :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Sassafras said:
    It is true that there is someone I work for who pays me to restring his guitars with Floyds! He probably would if he had one with a Bigsby too - he did, but sold it before it needed restringing :).
    Bet you don't charge him £75 though. By my reckoning that would bring your hourly rate up to around £450 :)
    Sassafras said:

Bet you don't charge him £75 though. By my reckoning that would bring your hourly rate up to around £450 :)
    I charge him a tenner, which still seems like money for old rope, but he seems to be happy with it. That does include a set-up check as well, although they very rarely need anything adjusting.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    Yep,can't see what all the fuss is about.A little bend in the string at the ball end...
    Try using your fingers, it's even easier.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268
    scrumhalf said:
    Yep,can't see what all the fuss is about.A little bend in the string at the ball end...
    Try using your fingers, it's even easier.
    My fingers are far to fat,whereas etc etc..........
    Laugh, love, live, learn.