Line out / phones question

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
Our keys player currently feeds the PA with the Right Channel Output on his keyboard and uses the Left channel Output to feed his small combo he uses to monitor with.  I want to get him connected to the PA in stereo.  The only outputs are L & R line-outs and a headphone socket.

Would I be better putting a 1/4" splitter on, say, the L line out and feeding both the PA and his combo, or try feeding his combo from the headphones socket (and if I did that, should I put an attenuating resistor in the jack to drop the voltage a little?).

In theory, the input impedances of the mixer and his combo should be high enough for it not to have any effect on the sound when splitting it between the two, but I haven't tried it and I really don't want one side of his stereo pair sounding weaker than the other.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Go from left and right outs into the PA 
    Then sum the left and right of the headphone jack to feed his combo ....the headphone out is generally just more capable of driving a bigger load in terms of current rather than having a bigger voltage swing so your probably be fine straight from headphone out into combo

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Why do you want to put him in stereo? That will just make him take up even more sonic space…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24302
    I'm not sure if that was serious or an anti-keyboard joke...  To answer seriously, because his keyboards are stereo and effects like chorus etc are so much nicer in stereo !  Anyway - it turns out to be a moot question as his amp is a Roland KC-350 which takes stereo inputs and has stereo line-outs (even thought the amp itself is a single speaker), so he just needs two more cables.  Keys => Amp => Mixer
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    It was one of those jokes that's funny because it's partly true :).

Seriously, are you sure this is a good idea? Yes, stereo effects do sound lovely, but firstly very few people out front will get to hear them properly (there is a reason why most pro gig PA mixing is done in mono), and secondly keyboard players *are* notorious for taking up a vast amount of sonic space, with or without stereo effects!

You may find that the best setting is to pan his channels only just far enough apart that you can hear they they are in stereo. Depending on the type of chorus, this should effectively reduce the apparent effect depth as well, which will shoot two piano players with the same blunderbuss, or something like that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom