Marshall JMP-1 edge of breakup sound......how?

dougfatherukdougfatheruk Frets: 12
edited September 2017 in Amps
Hi guys,

Avid JMP-1 user, love the system and the flexibility but it doesn't do the edge of break up sound. If you push the cleans too hard it sounds more like digital clipping IMHO.

The only way forward is for me to use pedals but I can't decide which one/s. I've toyed with selling the JMP-1 but just can't bring myself to do it.

I'm half tempted to go for a Wampler Plexi Deluxe but I don't want to throw money at if it's not going to cut it. I'm not a pedal user by traded so their fairly new to me right now, hence the need for advice. I have a Tube Screamer Mini which I use to boost the JMP-1 drive channel over drive but on the cleans it's a bit too nice and it feels like the OD is sitting on top of the clean rather than blending. 

Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Mike
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I saw John Mitchell with Frost* last year in a the Portland Arms Cambridge, he had a JMP-1 and El34 power amp, with a Korg fx unit of some type, no pedals just a midi switcher.

He got some stunning tones, including some crunchy cleans. 

Its possible id say, just requires a bit of work. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2017
    I used to have a JMP 1. I used the OD1 channel with the gain dialed back for a crunch type sound.
    It's not a competition.
  • I hope I'm not being naive because I've never plugged into a JMP-1, but is it not possible to get that sound on a crunch channel set low?

I've only ever heard that the cleans on the JMP-1 are a bit lame (which has stopped me buying one in the past) which might explain the struggle you're having.  
  • Not really tried for those kind of sounds on my JMP-1....and in fact not used it at all recently, but have you tried just rolling the guitar volume back on a very lightly gained OD sound??
  • Friedman BE-OD pedal with the internal & external gain knob at minimum will be just lush with your JMP-1 and will blend in.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

I have a JMP-1 as @stratman3142  said use OD1 with the gain down for that kind of tone.............. in fact use OD1 for everything, that's what I do 

Mines got a NOS Harma valve in it ... I was sceptical about hearing a difference when it was fitted but heard a difference for the better straight away

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Hi folks,

Thanks for all of the responses and ideas.

This morning I've tried the OD1 channel with the drive right back and to my ears it's a little uninspiring. It sounds like something underperforming as opposed to something being pushed if that makes sense?

I really think I'm only going to get what I want from a pedal, or it's just not going to happen. I had my eye on the Friedman but was little concerned that even on low gain levels it still seems to howl. However, a friend has one so i'm going to borrow it and try first hand. The other pedal I had my eye on was the Wampler Plexi.

Cheers

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    clarkefan said:
    I hope I'm not being naive because I've never plugged into a JMP-1, but is it not possible to get that sound on a crunch channel set low?

I've only ever heard that the cleans on the JMP-1 are a bit lame (which has stopped me buying one in the past) which might explain the struggle you're having.  
    The cleans are excellent on a JMP-1 - just not 'Fender' cleans which is what everyone seems to think are the only type…

On the other hand you like a DSL through G12T-75s so we may have slightly different opinions of what excellent is :).

The answer to the original question is what Danny said - OD1, gain low.

It's also worth mentioning that there are two valves in it, one is purely for the clean sounds and one purely for the overdrive, so you can experiment with different types for each. I can't remember which way round they are but it's very easy to find out - just pull one valve and see what stops working.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• :) Yeah like I said I've never tried one, you have me thinking now :)

So if the cleans aren't necessarily Fender type cleans how would you describe them? If I remember correctly Def Leppard used them for their recorded clean sounds which I always hated, which might be colouring my memories of how the amp was regarded back in the day.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    clarkefan said:
    :) Yeah like I said I've never tried one, you have me thinking now :)

So if the cleans aren't necessarily Fender type cleans how would you describe them? If I remember correctly Def Leppard used them for their recorded clean sounds which I always hated, which might be colouring my memories of how the amp was regarded back in the day.
    I've a sneaking suspicion that I read somewhere Billy Corgan used one around the 'Gish' era. I might be talking out me backside like.

Obvs no use for 'edge of breakup' stuff, as he was either sparkly clean or uber-drive :)
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    I wasn't far off, Gish was an ADA which, for some reason, makes me even happier that I've got mine running again. 

The JMP-1 came later...

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/billy-corgan-is-selling-all-his-old-shit/
  • I know exactly what you mean about the JMP-1 not doing edge of break up. I got great results with a BB Preamp pedal and a compressor for different flavours of what you are after.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Have a look down the multitude of demos on Johan Segeborn's YT channel... Here a re a couple to to start off:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I think the OP is referring to the rack mounted JMP-1 midi Preamp. 

JMP1 mini anniversary head. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    edited September 2017
    Sorry to jump in but I have a Plexidrive for sale right here if you're interested?

ive used it in front of a Blackstar and it worked very well for what you want, and it has the tubescreamer side so you'd not increase pedal count 

(disclaimer I maybe biased)
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    edited September 2017
    IIRC, the JMP-1 used clipping diodes for the overdrive? Rather like the Mesa Boogie V-Twin. I liked both for straightforward tones, but from distant memory, both seemed lacking when it came to that clean-crunch transition when using the guitar volume pot.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72329
    edited September 2017
    Yes, exactly like the V-Twin . Or more accurately, the other way round - the Marshall came first.

The Mesa is a very close copy of the circuit, but with all the digital control stuff replaced by simple pots.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Hi guys,

I tried the BE-OD and it was crazy gain, way to much for me but I can see why it's popular.

I can't get what I want so am considering a Giggity and Wampler Plexi.

Cheers
  • @dougfatheruk what tone are you aiming for?  What players sound are you trying to aim for?
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 549
    edited September 2017
    Hi guys,

I tried the BE-OD and it was crazy gain, way to much for me but I can see why it's popular.

I can't get what I want so am considering a Giggity and Wampler Plexi.

Cheers

Even with the internal gain at it lowest? 'Tis a beast though!
    Meant to add, try a Rockett 45 Caliber Overdrive if possible. It has a very usable sweep of the gain control.