Guitar Centre, a Gold Top and a dumpster

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
in Guitar tFB Trader
I was doing that thing, whatever it's called, when you just keep watching the next video on YouTube autoplay. The next one up was this..

Interesting. Hard to believe this guy was able to fish these out of the bin. The bit that got me (I'm not expert) was around the 9 minute mark. Is that neck actually salvageable? I wouldn't have thought so..

Anyone want to buy an aged goldtop? Surely if Gibson popped their Custom Shop Historic decal on there it would be worth £9k? Well, maybe £6k seeing as they're on sale right now :) 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    His intro to the video you swear he went undercover and discovered cruelty to the elderly at a retirement home, or animal cruelty at a pet store, it's a freaking guitar for god sake man.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bin dipped and took stuff home?

That will be theft then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't understand the fuss here. That s $600 guitar that needs at least $300 of work to make it playable, it which point it's worth maybe $400 at a stretch. Given the damage will be covered by either Gibson's courier's insurance, or the shops damaged stock insurance (or internal budget) then it's not worth the time fixing it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That guitar is beyond fucked, everyone needs a hobby i suppose, but going through bins to fish out knackered guitars sure isnt mine.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I don't understand the fuss here. That s $600 guitar that needs at least $300 of work to make it playable, it which point it's worth maybe $400 at a stretch. Given the damage will be covered by either Gibson's courier's insurance, or the shops damaged stock insurance (or internal budget) then it's not worth the time fixing it.
    Did you miss the bit where the video shows a text message that the guitar was perfect before being deliberately destroyed by the manager of a certain Guitar Centre Store. It seems that Gibson (or Guitar Centre head iffice) ordered its destruction to clear up an inventory issue.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandango said:
    I don't understand the fuss here. That s $600 guitar that needs at least $300 of work to make it playable, it which point it's worth maybe $400 at a stretch. Given the damage will be covered by either Gibson's courier's insurance, or the shops damaged stock insurance (or internal budget) then it's not worth the time fixing it.
    Did you miss the bit where the video shows a text message that the guitar was perfect before being deliberately destroyed by the manager of a certain Guitar Centre Store. It seems that Gibson (or Guitar Centre head iffice) ordered its destruction to clear up an inventory issue.
    Really??? So donate it to a school, or a music therapy charity or something ffs.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    fandango said:
    Really??? So donate it to a school, or a music therapy charity or something ffs.
    Yes, really! I guess you skipped the video, and took a shortcut to the comments.

Anyway, I agree that the guitar and keyboard could have been donated to a worthy cause, but it's a bit late for that Gibson Les Paul. Maybe, just maybe, Guitar Centre can get their priorities sorted for the future.
  • fandango said:
    fandango said:
    Yes, really! I guess you skipped the video, and took a shortcut to the comments.

Anyway, I agree that the guitar and keyboard could have been donated to a worthy cause, but it's a bit late for that Gibson Les Paul. Maybe, just maybe, Guitar Centre can get their priorities sorted for the future.
    Guilty as charged. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    fandango said:

It seems that Gibson (or Guitar Centre head iffice) ordered its destruction to
    Generate another sale for Gibson and kid their bankers that they're actually shifting stock…

I know someone who works for a major distributor, who has been ordered to destroy items on more than one occasion. One was a batch of amps (combos) which were deemed substandard in some way. The whole things were smashed, including perfectly good brand new Celestion Greenbacks. Pure stupidity - aside from the sheer unnecessary waste of it, those could easily have been taken out and sold as B-stock or used for repairs. He offered to do it but the management insisted that he didn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    OK... heres a thing... having worked for a major manufacturer of musical instruments and guitars, I can tell you ALL something... if a unit is substandard, for whatever reason, it can harm the brand for that unit to leave the inventory. Whilst it may "work" or may be "repairable" it may not be economically viable and once repaired it may not show the brand in a good light. Therefore it is better for the business and the brand to destroy these units.

To that end I have personally broken up guitars (including snapping headstocks off to ensure they can't be taken out of the skip) that could fall into this category. The cry is always to donate them to music charities... however, if something is substandard that charitable act could misfire badly... especially if (and I'm not saying this happens a lot but it does happen) the charity involved deems that the units given to them would serve a better purpose if they were sold to finance something else. You then have substandard guitars in the market that could give the brand a bad name, or could come back for warranty repairs...

I can't give names - but suffice to say this *wasn't* Line6. An MI company skipped some units with gluing issues and a few were 'rescued' by an enterprising bin man. He then sold them on eBay. The new owner of the guitar found the neck wasn't attached properly and complained - the bin man lied and told the new owner he'd bought it from a particular music shop but had lost the receipt. The guitar was returned to the music shop on a busy Saturday where the sales guy, whilst trying to get rid of an awkward 'customer' swapped the defective guitar for a shop stock guitar to appease the situation. On the Monday, the store tried to return the defective guitar for a credit - and then the arguments started because the serial number was listed as one of the destroyed units...

So, smashing up "repairable" guitars happens - and for very good business reasons. In this particular case, the inventory issue thing could be that it would have cost both companies more than it was worth to correct the audit problem - I'm guessing that could be the case... but either way, I've instructed stores to destroy defective units (and send me pictures) as it wasn't worth the return costs, vs what it would cost to repair, restock and sell (bear in mind it wouldn't be new any more). In those scenarios you rescue the parts that can be saved and destroy the "chassis".

So no, its not unusual...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom