NGD

What's Hot
Recently I've been on a mission to cull my guitar collection to only what I play regularly: my Les Paul and Esquire.  
I sold 6 underused guitars to reach my goal... Only to encounter an unexpected problem. MrsLostSon. Apparently all those guitars were acting as ornaments & now the flat was too bare! (SHE was the one who said we needed the space!)

Less than 24hrs after the last guitar sold she says I should get a new one! "Ok, I've long fancied a Gretsch"... Yesterday I saw one in the guitar shop window. MrsLostSon liked it too, so I popped in. "Just to try it out"

A wee gallery:

I'd also like to thank @themarlin for invaluable advice on what to look for (& avoid). The guy knows his onions. 

For the record, it's a Gretsch Streamliner G2420 in Flagstaff Sunset. 
The neck is pleasantly chunky & finish immaculate. After a bit of fiddling there are no rattles & it sounds great- the Broadtron pickups are slightly closer to my LP than a more traditional Gretsch, but even budgeting for a potential pickup transplant in the future this is cheaper than an Electromatic- for no easily discernable difference in quality.  
I particularly like the way you can feel the air moving in the guitar as you play. 
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That’s a beauty.  Good choice sir! 

I’ll keep an eye out for Pickups for you, though the broadtrons are decent enough :)

congrats :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    Looking at getting one of these. How did you get on with yours? Was it a novelty guitar or do you still have it in your collection?
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806
    Mrs Lost Son sounds like a keeper.

Don't let go of that woman!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking at getting one of these. How did you get on with yours? Was it a novelty guitar or do you still have it in your collection?
    It didn't last long unfortunately. 
    The nut wasn't cut right, so it kept going out of tune... When I could get a sound out of it at all- the electrics were awful. It kept cutting out. 
    I think it was that something wasn't soldered properly, but after 3 attempts by the shop to fix it I cut my losses & took a refund. 

It didn't put me off entirely- my main guitar is a G5410t RatRod. It's awesome. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7862
    Looking at getting one of these. How did you get on with yours? Was it a novelty guitar or do you still have it in your collection?
    The nut wasn't cut right, so it kept going out of tune... When I could get a sound out of it at all- the electrics were awful. It kept cutting out. 
    I think it was that something wasn't soldered properly, but after 3 attempts by the shop to fix it I cut my losses & took a refund. 

That’s nice!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks. I'm not really one for "bling" so this appealed to me. 
    I've had it a while now & it sounds as good as it looks. The only changes I've made are putting 11s on & a softer spring in the bigsby. 

Plus I'm a fan of Rancid & always liked Tim Armstrong's battered 5191, so this scratches that itch. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    TheMarlin said:

That’s nice!!
    ^^what he said^^

That's gorgeous!! 

Now that is a Rolls Royce!  <3
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 462
    Looks fantastic - makes me think I’ve been sleeping on Gretch
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842

I like that A LOT!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Brap brap!

Does it have the same rounded neck profile as the 2420?
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    edited May 2022
    Lovely guitar @stimpsonslostson ; !

Just curious, which were the 6 guitars you sold? And what styles of music do you play, with which amps?
  • Lovely guitar @stimpsonslostson ; !

Just curious, which were the 6 guitars you sold? And what styles of music do you play, with which amps?
    To be honest, I can't remember what I sold- I go through buying phases and selling phases. If I recall correctly I sold 2 SG copies, a Strat, spare LP and a tele or two. Looking back, I've no idea why I had so many guitars. 
    Now I've got the Gretsch which gets by far the most play time as it's so versatile and good to play. A homemade Esquire that's tuned to G for Stones/slide stuff and a Westbury Standard that I use for high gain- it's got Dimarzo superdistortion HB's in it and sounds great with lots of gain. 

When I was playing regularly I used a Boss Katana- it was very versatile. I'm busy doing other things now, so I just have my THR10ii that I use for practice etc. 
    The stuff I play ranges from rock (AC/DC. Stones, etc) to punk (Clash, Rancid, Alkaline Trio) to heavier stuff (Alter Bridge, Metallica, RATM). Lately I've been learning a lot of Jason Isbell and Gaslight Anthem stuff. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom