PRS Guitars Custom 24 Quilt Limited Autumn Sky One Piece Top

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited September 2017 in Guitar

I really like this once piece top CU24, lovely colour and figuring.

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/prs-guitars-custom-24-quilt-limited-autumn-sky-one-piece-top-242465/

but I don't like the 5 way switch PRS are using on the CUs. I had a 22 with the 5 way and not sure whether it's the wiring, pickups or switch but changing pickups setting is clunky and noisy, nothing like a Fender 5 way.

I prefer the PRS McCarty switching and wouldn't really miss those faux inbetween sounds, the old 5 way rotary was OK too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    It's brown isn't it? :D for the most part anyway
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    some character on that figuring as well without it being OTT - Yes at least on the old 5 way rotary switches you could change to a classic Gibson-esq 3 way style if required, but now the Blade switch is common on most models, so no options - Yet this new 5 way blade does allow you to select both humbuckers, which was not possible on the old 5 way and IMO the position 2/4 voices are better now on the blade switch than similar setting son the old rotary switch
  • I like that. 
  • I don't like the lever five-way switch, the current pickups or the business of coil splitting one pickup but not the other.

I always hated the clicking noise that the old rotary selector produced when the internal contacts broke and reconnected.

My solution is the Freeway 3x3-03 six position toggle.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Rotary or GTFO. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    That's nicer than most quilt tops I've seen. Nice colour too.
  • Blade ftw!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Is some of this stuff psychological? I mean I own both, I've gigged both, without any issues. You have to adapt, which could be said of any guitar you buy. But I don't think the PRS 5 way is the insurmountable issue surely? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Blade? Rotary? Pah, what you want is individual slide sitches per coil :)
    But yes, that is a lovely looking guitar.

Adam
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    To be honest, for all their build quality, I have found the electronics and some hardware to be really shoddy. The 5 way blade and the rotary are horrible - as others have said there's a terrible clicking between settings and considering this is a company that cuts a recess around it's 'speed' knobs so you can turn them easier and find them in low light, it just seems less than ergonomic! 

Also the jack on two of two of mine had to be replaced and another has already started to go. Never had this problem with Fender or Gibson, who are supposedly 'worse' quality 
  • Kalimna said:
    Blade? Rotary? Pah, what you want is individual slide sitches per coil :)
    But yes, that is a lovely looking guitar.

Adam
    On mine, I've got mini-toggles for tapping each humbucker and a 3- way selector :)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The 3 and 5 way blade switches do feel a bit agricultural compared to the Fender items, in fact it's the least favourite "feature" of my PRS 
  • sweepy said:
    The 3 and 5 way blade switches do feel a bit agricultural compared to the Fender items, in fact it's the least favourite "feature" of my PRS 
    That's so you can treat it like a farm animal. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom