EHX Deluxe Memory Man big box

What's Hot
xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
Just picked up one of the old ones and wow what an incredible pedal. Spent a good couple of hours just improvising arpeggio riffs. Granted it makes everything sound like early U2 but what a sound.

I had a Deluxe Memory Boy I think a while back and just couldn't get on with it. No comparison in my opinion. Any other fans out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danodano Frets: 1593
    Yes.

My big box deluxe memory man has lived on my board for about 15 yrs now. Superb pedal. Hard to get a bad sound from it

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes also, I'm getting some incredible sounds from mine, it sounds bloody huge. Relatively easy to use, It's one of the best analog delays out there. I really love the feedback control, slapback sounds are awesome too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I got one last week for a bargain, to sit on top of my amp. Totally destroys all my other delays. Shame it's 24v but that's obvs why it sounds great. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I've had one about 10 years now. Love it. Hate it. Best sounding delays ever. Fact. It's also big noisy takes the wrong current and has no tap tempo.

I set mine for 2 repeats and adjust delay time and modulation with my feet.
  • Yes also, I'm getting some incredible sounds from mine, it sounds bloody huge. Relatively easy to use, It's one of the best analog delays out there. I really love the feedback control, slapback sounds are awesome too.
    Not got around to dialling in a slapback yet. Would you mind sharing your settings?

The best pedal I've found so far for a vintage slapback effect is the Alter Ego on the Copicat setting. If I can get a similarly good sound from the EHX I might be able to retire the Alter Ego and free up some space on my board.
  • I had one in the early '80s (powered directly from the mains version, no wall warts for me) and loved it. After the third repair for one thing or another, I got rid of it. Miss the sound, don't miss the failures. I've got a T-Rex Replica that I like playing just as much. It doesn't deliver the same ""oscillating into feedback" sound that the DMM can give you. Nor has it broken down (yet). 
  • pia98jf said:
    Yes also, I'm getting some incredible sounds from mine, it sounds bloody huge. Relatively easy to use, It's one of the best analog delays out there. I really love the feedback control, slapback sounds are awesome too.
    Not got around to dialling in a slapback yet. Would you mind sharing your settings?

The best pedal I've found so far for a vintage slapback effect is the Alter Ego on the Copicat setting. If I can get a similarly good sound from the EHX I might be able to retire the Alter Ego and free up some space on my board.
    Hi there, having a practice tonight with a friend so I'll get some settings to you later on.... play this YT clip from 4:40 to give you an idea of the slapback from the DMM.

• Mine's down to about 300ms max delay time - need to get it recalibrated to bring it back up to the 500ms or so it was when I got it about 15 years ago. Amazing sounding thing though. 
  • pia98jf said:
    Yes also, I'm getting some incredible sounds from mine, it sounds bloody huge. Relatively easy to use, It's one of the best analog delays out there. I really love the feedback control, slapback sounds are awesome too.

Hi there, having a practice tonight with a friend so I'll get some settings to you later on.... play this YT clip from 4:40 to give you an idea of the slapback from the DMM.

Thanks mate. I tried those setting tonight and with a bit of tweaking (slightly lower blend and delay time) got a fantastic vintage sounding slapback. I think it just had the edge on the Alter Ego due to being warmer sounding.