"Hand Made In Hornsea By A Professional"

What's Hot
english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5142
edited September 2017 in Amps
A professional what though? Does it just look bad or is it actually dangerous?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30912
    Is this the first Cleartone Conversions amp? It bears all the hallmarks of the great man.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It's from a Facebook buy and sell group. I couldn't work out how to link to a single listing, just the group page which is mostly legit. Seller reckons it's one of five he bought from said unnamed "professional".

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    Potentially dangerous, but hard to be sure at that picture resolution.

The mains wiring isn't compliant with regulations. The earth connection appears to go to a terminal on the transformer instead of a dedicated chassis bolt. It appears to have a pull-out mains voltage selector, which I'm fairly sure is no longer allowed even though it's in the neutral line. The fuseholder is also wired the wrong way round with the live connection to the outer terminal. None of the mains connections are sleeved (whether or not you agree that they should be!).

Aside from that the overall workmanship is shoddy and it's potentially unreliable - insulation tape on what appears to be the speaker connections is very poor.

If these are being sold commercially the vendor could find themselves in serious trouble.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yikes. Now I'm wondering whether the group admins ought to know about it.

Not that they'd be responsible for anything that happened, but I wouldn't want it on my conscience...

• Come on IC don't be too hard, at least it has got ironing flex for the mains cable  ;)
    Seriously, it is a very poor piece of workmanship on all fronts and to be avoided.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It's probably worth suggesting that they politely inform the seller that he could be opening himself up to legal trouble. By selling things like this commercially without the proper certification (I think) he's breaking the law as well as opening himself up to a Public Liability claim if anything goes wrong.

@jpfamps, @RiftAmps and others will know for sure. I only repair amps not build, but I wouldn't want anything like this to be sold through the shop I work for even second hand. I've just refused to take on the sale of an old amp which has been badly repaired in the past exactly for this reason.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It's probably worth suggesting that they politely inform the seller that he could be opening himself up to legal trouble. By selling things like this commercially without the proper certification (I think) he's breaking the law as well as opening himself up to a Public Liability claim if anything goes wrong.

@jpfamps, @RiftAmps and others will know for sure. I only repair amps not build, but I wouldn't want anything like this to be sold through the shop I work for even second hand. I've just refused to take on the sale of an old amp which has been badly repaired in the past exactly for this reason.

I've messaged the group admins. The guy selling the amp is not the builder, but while the authorities will appreciate the distinction the lethal current won't.

• It might be worth a punt at that price, even if you end up completely re-building it. Got to be worth that for parts?
    It might be worth a punt at that price, even if you end up completely re-building it. Got to be worth that for parts?
    What price?

If it's any more than the value of a second hand Heritage G12H-30 then it's too much. The rest is just junk, old salvaged parts mostly. Might be worth having for project work or lowest-possible-cost repairs, but of no monetary value.

• It's on FB for £150. Presumably, the speaker, OT/PT, and valves are worth something?
    It's on FB for £150. Presumably, the speaker, OT/PT, and valves are worth something?
    The speaker is worth about £75 - although that one is likely to be worth less since it has what looks like a couple of soldering iron burns in the magnet cover.

Whether the other parts are "worth" anything depends on your application. It's unlikely they have any cash value - they may be useful to someone, but then you've got the work of removing and testing them. The valves might be worth something if they're more or less new, or more valuable old-production ones.

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 198
    Gassage said:
    Is this the first Cleartone Conversions amp? It bears all the hallmarks of the great man.
    It can't be one of his.  All three knobs are the same!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That is not a Heritage speaker, its an original circa 1970 to 1972. Don't get excited though, most of them are in poor condition thesedays and actually worth very little.
    I think you're right :). I was too busy looking at the mess in the chassis ;). If so it would figure, since most of the other parts are about the same age!

Judging by the sticker just visible on the frame (behind the cable) it may have been re-coned, too.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

Indeed that is pretty poorly built.

Most of the major safety issues have been covered already.

Also there seems to be quite a large hole in the chassis right next to the power valves!!

If the box was nicely made then it might make a good starting point for a project (assuming the speaker is OK), but it isn't so I would avoid.

• ICBM said:
    I think you're right :). I was too busy looking at the mess in the chassis ;). If so it would figure, since most of the other parts are about the same age!

Judging by the sticker just visible on the frame (behind the cable) it may have been re-coned, too.
      Well spotted, yes very likely reconed.
    jpfamps said:

Also there seems to be quite a large hole in the chassis right next to the power valves!!
    I think you're right - ouch. This is like the amp I've just refused to sell through the shop, where if you put your hand in through the back panel, you can directly touch the PT secondary terminals and the rectifier diodes which are tacked onto them…

I think that raises it from potentially dangerous to actually dangerous.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

To be fair they didn't say it was assembled by a professional electronic engineer, just a professional!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Professional assassin?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hm. Messaged the mods on the FB page at 10 this morning, no response since, and the ad's still up so I've posted a comment on the listing itself and linked to this thread. Assuming the seller doesn't know his amp is dangerous (otherwise why post gutshots?) but not sure if I'm going to get grief...