Best guitar for travel?

What's Hot
Looking for a guitar suitable for travel. Playing mostly fingerstyle and travel rather frequently 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    Taylor GS Mini. This is my fave for travel when I'm in the UK. Depends on how/where you travel though - the Taylor won't easily fit in hold baggage on a plane. I used sometimes to take mine as cabin baggage, but that's getting tougher these days. More recently I use a Traveller Guitars Speedster when flying - this is a skeletal electric thing that just about crams corner to corner into my hold bag. It's robust enough that it's survived so far - quite a few trips. It's nowhere near as nice as the Taylor for fingerstyle, but at least you can keep your practice routine going.
  • taggsy said:
    Looking for a guitar suitable for travel. Playing mostly fingerstyle and travel rather frequently 
    None of my guitars have wheels :( 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    mandolin mate, i got into it about a year ago and absolutely love it, great instrument
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • smigeonsmigeon Frets: 283
    ^ Excellent idea. Or a Uke.
  • Yamaha Silent Guitar?

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• Get one these a Yamaha GL1 :   

Or a used Yamaha FG with the shorter scale. A Taylor GS Mini is fine but it's £500 and would you want to leave that in the back of the car at services etc ?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Not sure if it's still made, but I've got a little Breedlove Passport travel guitar.  Short scale and tuned to A from the shop, although I tune mine to Ab to reduce the string tension a bit.  Really good sounding thing for what it is.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    I've heard some horror stories about customs (US actually) ripping guitars apart and you have no comeback.  I'd be very careful about this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Looking to shift my Emerald X7 Opus. Bought it for travelling last year, but spent most of my time drinking and walking so it never really saw a lot of use. Maybe 10 hours in as many months. Carbon fibre and fits in the overhead on a plane no worries. Girls think it looks 'really cool'
  • Furch Little Jane (LJ-10).  It fits as hand baggage on even the meanest airlines.  Hand built, all solid woods but the neck, headstock and body come apart to go in it's small carry case. Clip it back together, it's pretty much in tune and sounds like a BIG guitar!
    'There are plenty more guitars in the sea'
  • Really does depend on what sort of travelling but another shout for the Yamaha Silent Guitar