Boss ES-5/MIDI/Amp Channel switching question

What's Hot
smudge_ladsmudge_lad Frets: 665

I'm thinking about getting a Boss ES-5, so naturally I've watched a few demo's and the Burgs one is great, which showed him using preset mode but then jumping into manual mode to alter which pedals were being used in that specific preset. Looked great!

I would want to use the ES-5 with the normal footswitch functions for individual pedals on my board, as well as MIDI to control the channel options on my Marshall JVM.

I'm a total MIDI noob, so before I go and buy one, I am wondering if someone can answer how things would work when I jump from the preset mode (which would have the pedal/MIDI programming) into manual mode?

For instance, if I have the footswitches set to this in a preset:

1: Clean channel on JVM only, via MIDI
2: Clean channel on JVM via MIDI, with an overdrive pedal
3: Driver channel on JVM via MIDI, with overdrive pedal and delay

Once in manual mode, what happens with the footswitch setting in regards to my amp? I can't think how I could toggle these in the same way that I could if I was only switching in/out a pedal

Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance

Keir

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• They way you describe isn't possible in manual mode, each of your 1,2 & 3  examples would have to be a preset.

it's the same as the ES-8, so when you go into manual mode, the 5 switches  just switch the 5 loops in and out; you can only use the footswitches to send midi commands when you're in preset mode and you use an ASSIGN command to  program switches for an alternate mode. So, on my ES-8 on each preset (switches 1-5)  I   have used the ASSIGN function so switch 6 will toggle the amp channel, switch 7 toggles loop 7 which is my Mobius for mods and switch  8 to toggle delay.

If you  go into  manual mode from preset mode, the settings stay the same, You can use the switches to switch the  loops in and out. When you go back to  preset mode, the preset resets all the loops and toggles to whatever you have set  as default.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They way you describe isn't possible in manual mode, each of your 1,2 & 3  examples would have to be a preset.

it's the same as the ES-8, so when you go into manual mode, the 5 switches  just switch the 5 loops in and out; you can only use the footswitches to send midi commands when you're in preset mode and you use an ASSIGN command to  program switches for an alternate mode. So, on my ES-8 on each preset (switches 1-5)  I   have used the ASSIGN function so switch 6 will toggle the amp channel, switch 7 toggles loop 7 which is my Mobius for mods and switch  8 to toggle delay.

If you  go into  manual mode from preset mode, the settings stay the same, You can use the switches to switch the  loops in and out. When you go back to  preset mode, the preset resets all the loops and toggles to whatever you have set  as default.

Yep what he said. Manual mode is useful of playing around, but using assigns is more useful for presets that retain your Midi functionality. 

I have have buttons 1-3 of each back as clean, dirty, lead, and then 4-8 as bring in things I need for each, such as on clean it's comp, verb, chorus, and boost. 

Each bank is then set for a different feel, so blues, metal, hair rock etc. 

I then use a bank for songs and just flick through, but I use the base three banks 90% of the time.

Might be tricker using it like that with the 5 as the bank switches aren't there 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom