Calling all Melody Makers...

What's Hot
I've got GAS for one of these:

https://www.someneckguitars.com/products/gibson-les-paul-melody-maker 

Can anyone out there that has played, owned one of these tell me about the neck profile?  Is it a slim 60's or a more beefy 50's?  I am specifically interested in the early 2000's model with the bridge P90 and the tune-o-matic.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have one from 2006. I wouldn't describe it as having a neck shape from any particular era. It's more a case of take a giant redwood, split in half and fit a fingerboard :)
    It makes a brilliant slide guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1 said:
    I have one from 2006. I wouldn't describe it as having a neck shape from any particular era. It's more a case of take a giant redwood, split in half and fit a fingerboard :)
    The one I had was like that too. It was one of these:
    https://images.reverb.com/image/upload/s--c5Q43rDk--/a_exif,c_limit,e_unsharp_mask:80,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_south,h_620,q_90,w_620/v1369937902/lukea9oftsq8tkydwcrr.jpg
  • neck profile ... slim 60's or a more beefy 50's?  
    These terms are fairly meaningless.

I have a 1965 Melody Maker. The neck tapers from a depth of 22mm at the nut to 30mm at the body with no shaped heel of which to speak.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • neck profile ... slim 60's or a more beefy 50's?  
    These terms are fairly meaningless.

I have a 1965 Melody Maker. The neck tapers from a depth of 22mm at the nut to 30mm at the body with no shaped heel of which to speak.
    What is meaningless about asking if the neck profile is slim or not? If I am not mistaken early gibsons were known for their "baseball bat" necks and then in the early 60s they started making the necks with a slim profile. 

My post stated " specifically interested in the early 2000's model with the bridge P90 and the tune-o-matic." So if anything is meaningless in this thread then it would be your reply referencing the neck of a guitar 35 years it's junior  :o 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1 said:
    I have one from 2006. I wouldn't describe it as having a neck shape from any particular era. It's more a case of take a giant redwood, split in half and fit a fingerboard :)
    Okay forget the era, was the neck slim or chunky?
  • Chunky is putting it nicely. As the body is so thin, it's really light and the P90 is fantastic. 
  • What is meaningless about asking if the neck profile is slim or not?
    Gibson production variability means that much of their sales jargon counts for very little. 

The only way to judge is to go and put your mitts on the guitar.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • normula1 said:
    Chunky is putting it nicely. As the body is so thin, it's really light and the P90 is fantastic. 
    I agree, i’ve had two and regret selling them tbh - both sounded really good.
  • The only way to judge is to go and put your mitts on the guitar.
    Very true