Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gordon Smith guitar

What's Hot
deggygdeggyg Frets: 0
edited September 2017 in Guitar
I recently acquired a GS guitar, double cut away style.
The previous owner got it about 26 years ago, it's in immaculate condition and sounds sweet as.
I've read up on GS guitars, but can anyone add any more info/opinions?
Many thanks 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Photos?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I've had 2 of them, a GS-1 and a GS-1.5. The GS 1 was one of my favourite guitars. I haven't tried any recently but the old ones were great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a GS-1. I modified it to take a dogear P90. Then, like a fool, I returned it to original specs and sold it. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited September 2017
    Hell yehya - I'll rest ma bawz on yer forehead
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Let's see some pics! :-)

I have a GS2/60 and love it (I even reviewed it), and I also owned a GS1.5 a long time ago. Both no-nonsense guitars, nothing fancy. In fact I think when GS try and do fancy, it looks a bit odd. But mine works well, sounds good and does the job I want.

Pickup swaps are the most common mod I think, the in-house humbuckers divide opinion somewhat. Mine is still stock but I'm considering slotting some P90s in.
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1948
    edited September 2017
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Infeasible.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a long term loan from a really nice guy of a GS2-60 when I first started playing and it was awesome. 
    Would be about the same age as yours. 

Loved the neck, the only one I've found since that compares is the older Prs wide-thin. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Bit lacking in famous users, there's a list on Wikipedia although most of the ones I recognise who they are I wouldn't associate with them. However , the Buzzcocks, Bill Nelson, Billy Bragg.

Because of how much handcrafting went into them they've always been seen as a bit variable. I think in recent years standards supposedly got very low but, hopefully, back up again with the new owners. 

I borrowed a GS1 off a mate to play a gig once and it was painfully neck heavy although otherwise a perfectly nice guitar. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I had a GS2. It was ok but was underwhelmed by the build quality. I've played other ones which felt much more solid. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14229
    tFB Trader
    deggyg said:
    I recently acquired a GS guitar, double cut away style.
    The previous owner got it about 26 years ago, it's in immaculate condition and sounds sweet as.
    I've read up on GS guitars, but can anyone add any more info/opinions?
    Many thanks 
    The earlier Gypsy 1 and 11 guitars are very nice - LP Special/Junior style with I recall a Schaller wrap  around bridge/tailpiece with a thicker body than the 'more budget' based GS models - gloss finish as well - Pick-ups were okay without being anything special - a good guitar as an overview
  • I've recently got an endorsement with them, earlier thread here - 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/111371/sort-of-new-gear-day-gordon-smith-content#latest

Really like the loaner I have at the moment, got two custom builds on the way which I'll post up when they're finished.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a GS1 60 for about 25 years.  Love it.  It's one of the thin body ones which is what I wanted at the time - to chuck in a gig bag and go to jam's with.  What I liked was that the finish was basic but the neck, playability and hardware were good.  For similar or less money than an Epiphone or Squier at that time to me it was a better playing sounding machine.  I did put a beefier humbucker in, partly to counteract the thin body sound.  I've also added neck P90 which works well.
  • I have 4, love 'em
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I've got a GS-2 with Lollar P90s. It's a skinny bodied one, light as a feather, sounds truly wonderful. The only guitar I've bought new and a keeper. I've had it for a while....

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    I've had 2 of them, a GS-1 and a GS-1.5. The GS 1 was one of my favourite guitars. I haven't tried any recently but the old ones were great.
    @Sassafras Oh goodness yes. I had a GS1 for a bit, bought it on Ebay for a friend who was a bit hard up and kept it until he had the cash. Low serial number, pretty sure it was 26. Played like an absolute dream and I'm not usually a solid body man. bashed to hell but looked so cool for it. What was yours like? 

• As a youngster I really wanted a Gypsy 2 semi solid.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 615
    I've always wanted to get into GS guitars. In principle they sound great - well built, affordable, made in the UK. Unfortunately it seems that they have a policy of making their guitars as unattractive as possible (to me), so I've never managed to get past the aesthetics. 
  • merlin said: a
    I've got a GS-2 with Lollar P90s. It's a skinny bodied one, light as a feather, sounds truly wonderful. The only guitar I've bought new and a keeper. I've had it for a while....

That's feckin fine that is.
    Trading feedback | FS: Nothing right now
    JM build | Pedalboard plans
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Sassafras said:
    @Sassafras Oh goodness yes. I had a GS1 for a bit, bought it on Ebay for a friend who was a bit hard up and kept it until he had the cash. Low serial number, pretty sure it was 26. Played like an absolute dream and I'm not usually a solid body man. bashed to hell but looked so cool for it. What was yours like? 
    Mine was serial number 14. I bought it new in the early 70s.
    It was unusual in that it was entirely made from one piece of mahogany apart from the rosewood fretboard. It had more sustain than any guitar I've ever played. 
    Also played like a dream and I'd have it back in a heartbeat if it came up for sale.