Pedaltrain Nano vs cheapy clones

What's Hot
MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
Has anyone tried one of these cheap Pedaltrain Nano-style clones? E.G. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XRLPRJ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_xXUXzb4YEXVJP

I need a small portable pedalboard to hold a tuner, big muff (new small enclosure), a Mooer-sized compressor and a power supply. My concern with the cheap version is that the gap in the middle is much wider than the Pedaltrain, so the little Mooer-sized pedals might not fit properly. Has anyone tried building a setup on one of these? It'd be nice to save myself £20 but not if it's gonna give me problems with the pedal layouts.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    I've got one of the cheapies; TBH, I don't see any advantage in buying a Pedaltrain - the Nano size is just four pieces of aluminium welded together into a rectangle which sits flat on the floor.

I do have one of the larger Pedaltrain ones, a Classic Jr, where I think the design comes into play and the Pedaltrain is clearly the best product.

But the smaller one offers no advantage whatsoever over a cheapie as far as I can see.

The one I've got measures 5" across, with a 2" gap, and a micro pedal will fit; however, the contact area at each end is quite small so it may not be so secure, but it's the same on the Pedaltrain.

If you were concerned, you could get a flat plate with velcro on top and bottom to span the gap and then put the pedal on top of that. I've got a couple of riser attachments which do that kind of thing (they were with a larger Pedaltrain I sold on).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just make sure that there is space underneath for a power supply - if that's what you are thinking of using. The cheap ones I looked at didn't.
  • prowla said:

If you were concerned, you could get a flat plate with velcro on top and bottom to span the gap and then put the pedal on top of that. I've got a couple of riser attachments which do that kind of thing (they were with a larger Pedaltrain I sold on).
    The warrick/rock board pedal risers are identical to the pedal train ones but a fraction of the price, hot rox have them. 

I've bridged the gaps between pedal board slats by wedging a block soft wood successfully too. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    Zoolooter said:
    Just make sure that there is space underneath for a power supply - if that's what you are thinking of using. The cheap ones I looked at didn't.
    We're talking about the Nano here.

http://www.pedaltrain.com/nano

Mind you, there's a Nano Plus on ebay just now.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pedaltrain-Nano-Plus-Pedalboard-/253161119230?hash=item3af1941dfe:g:iUYAAOSwvtFZvag5

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited September 2017
    I have a Nano plus that is surplus to my needs now...

I have extended the rear feet so that a power supply will fit underneath (fuel tank jr in my case)
  • Pedaltrains have great bags though. Better than the Warwick or Palmer I also have. Buy the nano+, for the extra you pay it's worth it.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I bought a cheap one from amazon for my little board - does the job fine but the bag feels a bit cheap and flimsy.   Having said that, although they feel more substantial I seem to break the zip on PT bags very easily.  
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I could get a PT nano for about £25 secondhand and I'd know I could fit my cioks DC5 underneath. It'd be a gamble with the knockoff versions and I'm not really saving any money. Of course, if you're only using ~3 pedals, you may well be daisy chaining them anyway.