Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72338
    robwright said:
    It's not the audio improvement i question, it's the seemingly overinflated prices. Can it really cost £500 to manufacture an IEC lead that you then go onto sell for £1500? 
    It's the audio improvement I question - or more accurately, flat-out deny is anything other than self-delusional wishful thinking.

There is *no* physical mechanism for the "quality" of a mains cable being able to affect the sound in any way, assuming that it is not of wholly inadequate gauge so that the voltage reaching the equipment is measurably lower. No such power cable that would pass electrical safety regulations exists.

And even if it was possible then as I implied earlier, why does the many more metres of plain cheap solid-core copper wiring in the walls of your house, and the hundreds of metres of cable back the substation transformer (the first point which can be considered the 'source' of the electricity) not negate any improvement in the last less than one percent of the length? It would be like stacking up a hundred dirty panes of glass and cleaning the last one, then claiming that you can see through them much better.

Signal interconnects can definitely affect the sound, because they have quite significant capacitance in the range that can alter the frequency response. Speaker cables can possibly affect the sound because they can have resistance which is just enough to affect the damping factor of the speakers, if they're not of sufficient gauge. But power cables can't. If you can demonstrate otherwise in any kind of properly-conducted measurement or blind listening test, feel free to do so and I'll say I'm wrong.

Same as it ever was and ever will be...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 18reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I love the descriptions (or rather the lack of) for the "burn in process."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Rocker said:
    robwright said:

Sigh! When you have nothing to say, slag off audiophiles. If you had simply tried one in your hi-fi system, you do have a hi-fi system?, and found that everything that RA wrote about it is bollox, your opinion would have some credibility. Without trying it out yourself, your opinion is mere conjecture [whatever the "experts" say]

To be fair, I don’t think it’s us who are making things up... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2017
    beed84 said:
    Rocker said:
    robwright said:

Sigh! When you have nothing to say, slag off audiophiles. If you had simply tried one in your hi-fi system, you do have a hi-fi system?, and found that everything that RA wrote about it is bollox, your opinion would have some credibility. Without trying it out yourself, your opinion is mere conjecture [whatever the "experts" say]

To be fair, I don’t think it’s us who are making things up... 
    Indeed. I rather think the onus is on the ones charging a grand and a half for a plug, to prove that it's worth the money. 

Alternatively...

Anyone wanna buy some pants from me? Still made of cotton but it's been pre pouched and undergone a number of secret processes that will make your love tackle instantly better. 

Only £500 a pair.

For an extra £25 I'll put some skid marks in them to save you the bother.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What a load of old shite.

You'd be better off spending the same amount on upgrading your CD player, amp, or speakers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't the trade descriptions act get the voodoo digital cables dumped?
    No different from homoeopathy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    edited September 2017
    To me, the acronym KORD suggests a small rotary offset German printing press design of the early twentieth century.   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heidelberg-Kord-64-Printing-Press-/152685163021?hash=item238cbeb20d:g:XUgAAOSwXq5Zp~sO
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    Welcome to 2000, Russ Andrews has been around for yearssssssssssssssssssssss, there are enough people who fall for it to keep him in business so I'm not sure if he does do something special that I'm missing out or are people generally just stupid.
  • As I don't know anything about electronics I'm not going to ask about the power or speaker cables as I wouldn't understand the explanation, but why would that USB cable be so expensive? Surely the data either gets through intact, or it doesn't?  Kind of  like when you listen to DAB in the car and when the signal goes the sound just goes, no distortion or crackle etc. Isn't it the quality of the kit that converts digital to analogue that makes the difference?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm starting to wonder if Russ Andrews isn't really JCon in disguise.

• kinkin Frets: 1015
     Tonewood. It's indefinable, it's mojo, if you can't hear the difference then you probably don't even play the guitar and have cloth ears.

Superkord 500, it's a load of old bollocks init? Fancy paying stupid money for something when something half the price does the same job.

For all I know, that 13a superfuse could really bring out the hitherto hidden nuances of my Motorhead albums, in fact maybe the only other major improvement could be if Lemmy had used a different fret board wood  :)

• I bought one of these for my kettle. The tea tastes FANTASTIC.
    That's a plug for mugs.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No.......  https://web.archive.org/web/20160405202532/http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2014/1/Russ-Andrews-Accessories-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_228690.aspx#.WcgNAdHTWf0
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    ICBM said:

It's the audio improvement I question - or more accurately, flat-out deny is anything other than self-delusional wishful thinking.

There is *no* physical mechanism for the "quality" of a mains cable being able to affect the sound in any way, assuming that it is not of wholly inadequate gauge so that the voltage reaching the equipment is measurably lower. No such power cable that would pass electrical safety regulations exists.

...Speaker cables can possibly affect the sound because they can have resistance which is just enough to affect the damping factor of the speakers, if they're not of sufficient gauge. But power cables can't. If you can demonstrate otherwise in any kind of properly-conducted measurement or blind listening test, feel free to do so and I'll say I'm wrong.
    I don't care what pseudo-science anyone comes up. It is undeniable that power cable make as much difference to the fidelity of sound reproduction as an ash body versus an alder body does in an electric guitar. In fact, as much as 80% of what you hear coming out of the speakers is down to what power cable you use. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't got the finely-tuned ears of a true audiophile.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Or 'mojo'. ;)
  • christ life can be a drag sometimes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    exocet said:
    I love the descriptions (or rather the lack of) for the "burn in process."
    It's highly technical.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72338
    edited September 2017
    As I don't know anything about electronics I'm not going to ask about the power or speaker cables as I wouldn't understand the explanation, but why would that USB cable be so expensive? Surely the data either gets through intact, or it doesn't?  Kind of  like when you listen to DAB in the car and when the signal goes the sound just goes, no distortion or crackle etc. Isn't it the quality of the kit that converts digital to analogue that makes the difference?
    Yes.

Three-ColourSunburst said:

I don't care what pseudo-science anyone comes up. It is undeniable that power cable make as much difference to the fidelity of sound reproduction as an ash body versus an alder body does in an electric guitar. In fact, as much as 80% of what you hear coming out of the speakers is down to what power cable you use. Anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't got the finely-tuned ears of a true audiophile.
    At the risk of being dragged into your pointless nonsense again, there is a very simple difference.

The difference between an ash body and an alder body can be very clearly demonstrated by measurement and has been done in that 'Stormriders' research, regardless of what their written conclusion states. The difference is clearly visible between the blue and pink lines.

The difference between mains cables cannot be measured or recorded in any such way. (According to that link, Russ Andrews did, but they specifically tested outside the audio range in order to do so.) Nor can it be demonstrated in properly-controlled blind testing. Therefore it is not real.

And once again, that's all I'm going to say because I'm quite sure you're just trolling this time :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Here's a glowing review for the slightly more expensive rhodium plug that's persuaded me to sell my motorbike so that I can buy a decent power cable:

http://www.russandrews.com/the-superkord500-sdii-uk-mains-w350-evo-rhodium/#reviews

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    ICBM said:

The difference between an ash body and an alder body can be very clearly demonstrated by measurement and has been done in that 'Stormriders' research, regardless of what their written conclusion states. The difference is clearly visible between the blue and pink lines.

And once again, that's all I'm going to say because I'm quite sure you're just trolling this time.
    Odd that you should put such faith in a graph found in a student project, and yet reject the findings of a properly controlled academic study...

To be honest, I saw this thread and thought it was a carefully laid trap, designed to ensnare me with its irony. I now realise that the thread's commitment to things such as science, rationality and blind testing was not meant to be a piss-take!

Sorry, my mistake!
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom