Trio+ users - is it working for you as a practice/rehearsal or writing tool? Is it useful at all?

What's Hot
camfcamf Frets: 1191
I hear lots of positives about it, so how are long-term Trio+ users on here rating it as a bit of kit? Any tips? Any major limitations? What's its strong points? Vaguely thinking about trying one so any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

cam f
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's brilliant. The only limitation I've found is it doesn't do fills or pauses in the drum track. I've got around this by using a volume pedal or kill switch after it to mute the signal if a song requires a break. Would be nice to be able to do that

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • The optional foot-switch (which I've not bothered getting) can mute/un-mute the drums and/or bass. I really like mine and have used it for backing tracks at open mikes quite often.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    The positives continue. :) Cheers guys.
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94
    edited September 2017
    I've only had mine a week and haven't really gotten into everything it can do, I got it mainly because  I don't like practicing with a metronone.  It seems to be helping.

I'd had one in my amazon wishlist for a while and when somebody on here mentioned them I happened to go have a look and saw that it had dropped below £200.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Yes agree with all this.  They are great.  I often put down a backing track, add chords using the looper, then widdle over it.
    Good for general messing around but also for creating a backing track for something specific.
    I had a Trio and a separate looper but sold them because getting them to sync up was too difficult (for me anyway),  The brilliant thing about the Trio+ is that the looper knows all about the drum+bass loop that you already created, eg you don't even have to click to end the looper sampling because it knows where the end of the current loop is.
    You can use it like a standalone looper though if you want.
    And you can put several sections together using the sequencer to make a complete song.
    One other point - there is a separate output for the drum+bass so you can feed it into the clean channel of your amp if you want to put your guitar through a distorted channel without affecting the accompaniment.  It also has limited built-in effects that it will apply to the live playing if you want.
  • Superb device.

Really helps with creativity.

Not perfect, but easy enough to lower the volume on bass and/or drums if they are 'getting in the way'.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2017
    I run mine at our studio sessions and use the second out to go straight to the pa. That's such a brilliantly simple solution and sounds great. Ad with anything of this ilk though, you only get the best out of it when you take time setting up your songs.

• aord43 said:
    One other point - there is a separate output for the drum+bass so you can feed it into the clean channel of your amp if you want to put your guitar through a distorted channel without affecting the accompaniment.  It also has limited built-in effects that it will apply to the live playing if you want.
    How do you do that @aord43 ? Put one output in the fx loop and another in the front ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    aord43 said:
    How do you do that @aord43 ? Put one output in the fx loop and another in the front ?
    I use a Roland Micro Cube which has an "aux in".  So I take the second output of the Trio+ and feed it to the Aux In.  Actually I normally send it via a little mixer so that I can have a cable from PC or phone too.
    The main output of the Trio+ goes to the amp normal input where it will have effects applied in the amp, if selected.
    The Trio+ has a button that will apply what they call "effects" :) to the guitar signal, press once for lead and twice for rhythm.  It's basically just a bit of overdrive from the sound of it.  I don't use it very much.
  • aord43 said:
    aord43 said:
    I use a Roland Micro Cube which has an "aux in".  So I take the second output of the Trio+ and feed it to the Aux In.  Actually I normally send it via a little mixer so that I can have a cable from PC or phone too.
    The main output of the Trio+ goes to the amp normal input where it will have effects applied in the amp, if selected.
    The Trio+ has a button that will apply what they call "effects" :) to the guitar signal, press once for lead and twice for rhythm.  It's basically just a bit of overdrive from the sound of it.  I don't use it very much.
    The inbuilt effects on the trio change depending on the genre selected. So your rhythm sound on "metal" is chuggy od, the lead sound is full screaming distortion. Change it to blues and it becomes fairly clean on rhythm and bluesy OD on lead etc. 

When I'm using the trio just on my amp, I have it last in the fx loop so it doesn't apply FX to the recorded loops. If I'm in the studio I take the drums and bass out to the mixer desk/ pa and don't use looped guitar because there are enough of us playing guitar. 

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    I used it the other night at band rehearsal when our drummer couldn't make it. Literally just used it for the drum sounds/ beats and it worked out well. 
    I think it would take a fair bit of practise to use live but as a practice tool, it's a useful thing indeed. 
  • I'd imagine if you wanted to use it live, and weren't bothered about building the song so the audience can see it happen, it's just a matter of saving the sequences in advance.

I finally got the trio+ connected up to my helix lt using a custom preset I found on the line 6 forum and while my floor looks like a pile of spaghetti and I need some longer cables it works really well, sounds great.
  • neilg said:
    I finally got the trio+ connected up to my helix lt using a custom preset I found on the line 6 forum and while my floor looks like a pile of spaghetti and I need some longer cables it works really well, sounds great.
    Where have you put it? Are you using it in front or in the helix loop or amp loop? Seen several different ways of doing it and I'm about to try out withmy pod hd 500. 

edited October 2017
    neilg said:
    Where have you put it? Are you using it in front or in the helix loop or amp loop? Seen several different ways of doing it and I'm about to try out withmy pod hd 500. 
    I followed post number 6 here with the accompanying preset.

http://line6.com/support/topic/21082-trio-and-helix/?p=160648

• Woah! My blonde just reacted. I might have to try writing that out in crayon! Cheers! 

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've gone back to using a looper. I find the need to play your chords in a regimented fashion to get the right timing and interpretation of them is a bit constraining, as is the need to avoid low notes in chords in case they clash with the bassline.  No fault of the product but just find it to be harder work than my old looper when I'm grabbing 30 mins to play in the evening.