Unusual happening when playing guitar

Having concentrated on bass playing in recent times, I picked up a six string yesterday evening. Electric into my Pignose, no FX. To my surprise I found that I could think of nothing to play. Intros - blank, solos - blank, chord progressions - also blank. So I played a large number of chords in the hope that my brain would kick into gear. It didn't. I did not have a music system or player to hand for inspiration but knuckled down to work out the Pink Panther theme from memory. Eventually I got some kind of a handle on this - I have not compared it to the original yet - so my time was not completely wasted. At one stage I did give consideration to the idea of selling my six strings and sticking with the bass. Are those 'blank days' normal or should I get rid of everything with six strings on it?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Get a 6 string bass
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Got a nice 4 string bass recently @axisus, 6 looks overkill....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I haven't played any of my basses much for about 5 years now, but when I did 6 string guitar felt really easy afterwards with those tiny little strings. To be honest I'm always a bit blank with a 6 string, my usual thing is to either play along to jam tracks or backings that I have done. Without either of those available I'm a little lost with what to do.
  • I don't recall ever having a 'blank' day, but inspiration can vary some days. I'd suggest learning/playing some songs you really like, and take a view a few weeks later before giving up on your six string guitar(s). You may find that playing 6 string again may also inspire your bass playing.
  • DanjiDanji Frets: 225
    Not blank as such but there’s times when I’m just not in the mood.  I try and have some things that I go back to work on. Similar to working out the Pink Panther theme, but I’ll try and play standards using different limitations etc. Or choose a group of chords like G to D and see how I can voice them differently. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Normally I can play some solos, like Lying Eyes or Peaceful Easy Feeling or Tequila Sunrise by The Eagles, 'fairly' well. But last night it did not happen to me. I did eventually get them but it was a surprise to be made aware of how fickle ones memory is. Oh I checked the Pink Panther theme and my interpretation is fairly close. Bound to be lots of 'how to play the PP theme' videos on the Internet but I prefer to work things out by ear and memory.

it was a real shock to discover that if somebody asked me to play something, I would have looked a total plonker. Or even more than I normally do...

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum