Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Tele options

What's Hot
A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
edited September 2017 in Guitar
Starting saving up with the aim to getting a really good Tele as soon as I can (trying not to get distracted by other shiny things in the meantime ...) and just need some advice as to what models people think would be the best value, or which are the most consistently good. Looking for something pretty traditional, though a more modern neck and interesting colours would be ideal.

I've owned both a Baja and a Lite Ash and while very good, neither grabbed me as a must have or The One. I'm currently considering a Custom Shop, an AVRI 52 or a well-specced Partscaster put together with things like GuitarBuild/MJT, Mojo etc. I also tried and enjoyed LSL Teles in the past if anyone has much opinion on them.

Are there any other stand out models I'm missing or good value custom builders who are really worth the investment? And for people who've tried the options I've covered so far, any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    Google 8502 Telecaster. Fender only built them for a few years but the purists love them. The pickups were exclusive to that model apparently. I had one for a short period, regretted getting rid ever since.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_W said:
    Looking for something pretty traditional, though a more modern neck and interesting colours would be ideal.

I'm currently considering a Custom Shop, an AVRI 52 or a well-specced Partscaster put together with things like GuitarBuild/MJT, Mojo etc.
    In my opinion, for your stated requirements, you should rule out the AVRI '52 immediately. Its 7.25" fingerboard radius and skinny frets will frustrate you. The stock pickups can be a bit raspy too. 

The C.S. stuff with flatter (or compound) radii and big fret wire will do the business for you. On a slight tangent, so might the 2011 Tele-bration Brown's Canyon / Old Growth Redwood short run model. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I would try a CS Nocaster.
  • Fabulous guitar but the neck proportions on the NOS/Relic/Closet Classic versions could hardly be described as modern.
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    By modern I mostly mean not vintage frets or 7.25 - happy to have a baseball bat neck like a Baja, that part of it was great.
  • Fabulous guitar but the neck proportions on the NOS/Relic/Closet Classic versions could hardly be described as modern.
    Well I did say try not buy.
  • The regular Nocaster neck is considerably deeper than the Baja. Some of the Fender C.S. Journeyman stuff should strike a nice balance between vintage looks and modern playability. 
  • Also try a Nash Tele if you don't mind relic'ing - fantastic guitars.

I've never been one for deciding on guitars based on specs. I couldn't tell you what the neck radius is on a single guitar of mine. I just play 'em and if I like it and can afford it I buy it. Makes things pretty simple.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2017
    It's worth trying a new Telecaster Professional. I love mine and prefer it to other models I've tried, but I haven't tried the specific models you've listed.

It's not a competition.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Hard to go wrong with Guitarbuild. This is a body that I may build into a tele but an Esquire with a Bakelite guard and fat maple neck is seriously tempting.

https://i.imgur.com/6lCcOwR.jpg

You can spec a good build for about £500-600 less than a Fender Pro but each to their own obviously ;)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Another vote for the American Pro. I tried the Baja and American Special and the Pro was in a different league. Nice neck, beautiful rosewood board and the cutaway bridge is a nice modern touch. Bone nut too. 
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    @lonestar Ooh that's stunning, where did you get that finish done? As much as I said I like interesting colours and finishes, it's hard to resist good ole butterscotch with a Tele...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    A_T_W said:
    @lonestar Ooh that's stunning, where did you get that finish done? As much as I said I like interesting colours and finishes, it's hard to resist good ole butterscotch with a Tele...
    Thank you. Some guy at SC Relics Guitars did it ;) 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited September 2017
    You shouldn't rule out G&L or maybe another manufacturer like LsL.  G&L make superb sounding instruments, I had one of their tribute tele's and a full on USA strat and they were both wonderful.  

If it were me and if I had to go Fender I'd probably go for an AVRI 52 Tele.  I have an 59 AVRI strat and the finish is pretty thin which I like, it dings up very easily but that doesn't bother me, would rather it dings up to bare wood than have that starring effect when poly finishes get dinged.
  • The regular Nocaster neck is considerably deeper than the Baja. Some of the Fender C.S. Journeyman stuff should strike a nice balance between vintage looks and modern playability. 
    They make a few Nocasters with slimmer necks, 4-way switches etc.  Whether you consider them Nocasters is another matter.  Amazing guitars though.
  • If you can find one, the best teles I've ever played are K Line Truxtons. I have two, one of which replaced a really good Nocaster in my collection. They are incredibly resonant guitars with great necks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Would suggest at least trying an AVRI 52. The neck is unlike others...I was surprised how much I love mine, so much so I bought it and sold my 9.5 mj c neck tele. I don't have large hands and it still feels great.

Failing that, the other teles in the line are worth a demo...the 64 is a slimmer neck but a vintage radius and frets. Pros are also supposed to be good and Suhr do a range of tele if you can try them.
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 851
    edited September 2017
    Deadman said:
    Google 8502 Telecaster. Fender only built them for a few years but the purists love them. The pickups were exclusive to that model apparently. I had one for a short period, regretted getting rid ever since.

+1 on the 8502.  It's like a mix of American Standard and 52 Reissue.  All the good bits of the 52ri with flatter board and bigger frets.  Had one and foolishly let it go.     Although I still love my no1 - 52RI.

Another good one was the Highway One Texas Telecaster - along the similar lines of the 8502 but with the 3 saddle bridge.  Only ever seen a couple of them in the flesh and wish I'd bought one.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31590
    I'd go partscaster every time, there's no reason you couldn't build your ideal Telecaster for 600 quid, probably a fair bit less. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The Dealer select CS ones in CODA.