Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Star Trek Discovery

What's Hot
Anybody watched the first episode yet? I've not long started it. It feels like Trek, but I can't get past the new look of the Klingons. It does look incredible though, very stylish.
My V key is broken
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No but I'm probably going to give it a go, once the Drew/EMP thread runs out of storyline. 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Just watching the first ep myself..  Too early to make any judgments...  I will let you know after the second episode  :D
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It's a bit messy, but on the whole I liked it. Just setting up I think, we'll get to the good stuff next week. Looking forward to seeing Jason Isaacs. Really enjoyed Michelle Yeoh's captain, I hope she shows up in flashbacks.
    My V key is broken
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited September 2017 tFB Trader

Yeah I liked it...  I think its better than anything on the Enterprise series already....

I did think it was a bit silly that they didn't have a probe to send and then what they did instead?? 

BUT I liked the production and the overall tone..  So yes.. I will be watching more for sure..  Im not sure about the name Michael but I like her character...

As for the Klingons..  Doesn't bother me that much..  Remember they originally looked like this  ;)

https://i.imgur.com/zMymUkZ.jpg

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    OK so far, we'll see. Looks bloody expensive.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm 30 minutes into Ep1. I don't like that it looks like Mass Effect. I don't understand why the main girl is called Michael. I don't know why she has to be Spock's adopted flipping brother. I don't understand why the Klingons don't look like *any* Klingons we've seen before. 

I like Jason Isaacs but he's not in it yet. I assume Yeoh is going to die and he'll be the new captain.

But i'm still watching.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • KDSKDS Frets: 221
    What channel is this on?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    I really enjoyed it.  Nice balance between original trek and the new silly stuff.

try to remember the first two episodes are essentially just an introduction to the main character and the Klingon war - lots of good stuff to come!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is the Klingon stuff at the beginning of episode 2 supposed to have subtitles? They're not there and it doesn't make sense!
  • KDS said:
    What channel is this on?
    Netflix.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll watch it or not. Most reports seem to suggest it's pretty good as a sci-fi series, but not necessarily as a Trek series. It occurs to me that they may well have made too many decisions on a "What would common sense dictate we do? OK, let's do the opposite..." basis. Things like the appearance of the Klingons and "Michael" as a girl's name - arbitrary decisions which appear (on the face of it) to have no basis in the story, and just done to unsettle the viewer.

Things like that annoy me.
    <space for hire>
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I'm 30 minutes into Ep1. I don't like that it looks like Mass Effect. I don't understand why the main girl is called Michael. I don't know why she has to be Spock's adopted flipping brother. I don't understand why the Klingons don't look like *any* Klingons we've seen before. 

I like Jason Isaacs but he's not in it yet. I assume Yeoh is going to die and he'll be the new captain.

But i'm still watching.
    I work with a Princess David... So it's not unheard of to have misgendered names 

I thought that overall it was sloppily written and hackneyed... 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16701
    "we do not discuss it with outsiders"
  • Is the Klingon stuff at the beginning of episode 2 supposed to have subtitles? They're not there and it doesn't make sense!
    Never mind, sorted it.
  • Also I don't know why the computer is basically dull-future-Siri and not Majel Barrett. Didn't she record a bazillion lines before she died expressly for this purpose?
  • Right. It's not bad. But it's just a modern action TV show in Star Trek cosplay.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Isn't the new captain the guy who played Lucious Malfoy in the Potter films with a dodgy southern US accent? I just wish they wouldn't go into the past and bugger up the original series timeline. Voyager worked as did Deep Space Nine and the Next Generation, although it went on too long. Enterprise was a turkey.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Until it went all Timer-Wimey (death knell of any SF series) I quite liked Enterprise
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Jalapeno said:
    Until it went all Timer-Wimey (death knell of any SF series) I quite liked Enterprise
    The problem for purists was the poor story arc that dragged on interminably and was poor in the end. They met the Borg and yet Picard had no data on them - unlikely given the tech available. The biggest problem was the cast ... there's more charisma in a morgue.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Jalapeno said:

I don't think I ever watched Enterprise, but I think there ought to be a law: If it's not about time travel right out of the gate, it shouldn't be about time travel. Doctor Who gets a pass, Harry Potter doesn't.

Special exemptions for stories where time travel is a plot twist. Harry Potter still doesn't get a pass.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• KDS said:
    What channel is this on?
    Netflix.

I'm still undecided as to whether I'll watch it or not. Most reports seem to suggest it's pretty good as a sci-fi series, but not necessarily as a Trek series. It occurs to me that they may well have made too many decisions on a "What would common sense dictate we do? OK, let's do the opposite..." basis. Things like the appearance of the Klingons and "Michael" as a girl's name - arbitrary decisions which appear (on the face of it) to have no basis in the story, and just done to unsettle the viewer.

Things like that annoy me.
    Watching it made me feel like I did watching RTD's version of Doctor Who. It had all the bits of Who I knew but they'd been rejigged for a modern audience and therefore there were things that jarred badly. 

I'm not going to bother watching any further episodes. Why?

1. Next Generation was mostly shit for the first season and then really kicked on. 
    2. I wasted time watching the first season of Enterprise. Not repeating that mistake. 
    3. If Discovery hits Season 2, then if it gets the TNG boost in quality, it'll be worth watching.