My 7day old washing machine is leaking

What's Hot
Which is a pain. When I ring AO tomorrow and they try to fob me off with repair what consumer act do I need to quote to get them to replace it instead? (Assuming there is one! ) cheers 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12318
    Where is it leaking from?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Where is it leaking from?
    The kitchen probably
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Underneath only when running.  Not the main water connection. 
  • Probably the Consumer Rights Act.  I'm sure they will replace it given it's only a week old.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Did you take the bolts out
    My V key is broken
  • Transit bolts decoupled captain 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Daughter's Mielé washing machine leaked after only a few days. She was offered a repair which she refused since she'had paid for and expected to own a new machine, not one that had been fixed. She not only got a new washing machine, but also £500 for the new wooden floor that had been ruined by the leak.

Not sure which shop it was bought from though, or if she mentioned any consumer legislation. Knowing her boyfriend, its more likely they threatened to put the  story all over social media.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    I've heard that AO are pretty good for customer service.
  • Same thing happened to me with a brand new Siemens machine. Engineer came out to look at it and said the leak was due to a hole in the drum which must have been caused by an object Iike a coin. They said it wasn't therefore covered by the warranty. They even tried to charge me for sending out the engineer.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28198
    pia98jf said:
    Same thing happened to me with a brand new Siemens machine. Engineer came out to look at it and said the leak was due to a hole in the drum which must have been caused by an object Iike a coin. They said it wasn't therefore covered by the warranty. They even tried to charge me for sending out the engineer.
    Surely at that point you engage the credit card company; in my experience they descend like the fury of an elder god.

In order to invalidate the warranty they'd have to prove that the hole was your fault, surely?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    pia98jf said:
    Same thing happened to me with a brand new Siemens machine. Engineer came out to look at it and said the leak was due to a hole in the drum which must have been caused by an object Iike a coin. They said it wasn't therefore covered by the warranty. They even tried to charge me for sending out the engineer.
    Surely at that point you engage the credit card company; in my experience they descend like the fury of an elder god.

In order to invalidate the warranty they'd have to prove that the hole was your fault, surely?
    I don't think I used a credit card to be honest. According to them, the burden of proof was on us  - they said the hole couldn't have been caused by anything other than a foreign object.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Had a similar thing with my washing machine. Turned out to be the downpipe that took the water away - the new machine pumped water out faster than my old machine and the hose wouldn't stay in the downpipe properly (it was too narrow really). A couple of clips later the problem was solved.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Trump it
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Fortunately I paid by CC so any issue with AO I will release  the hounds. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    pia98jf said:
    Sporky said:
    pia98jf said:

I don't think I used a credit card to be honest. According to them, the burden of proof was on us  - they said the hole couldn't have been caused by anything other than a foreign object.
    Being brand new, wouldn't the burden of proof be on them to show it wasn't like that when it arrived?
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    Thanks - I'm going to run it today out of its hole and have a look. I can see the waste pipe in the cupboard and it doesn't look like it's wicking back up. 

Fortunately I paid by CC so any issue with AO I will release  the hounds. 
    I've only had one return with AO which was completely straightforward.  Hope yours goes the same way :)
  • iseverynamegoneiseverynamegone Frets: 1576
    edited September 2017
    Tested, its leaking from the front door. I'll give them a bell later. (Wifey told me underneath)
  • DefaultM said:
    pia98jf said:
    Sporky said:
    pia98jf said:

Being brand new, wouldn't the burden of proof be on them to show it wasn't like that when it arrived?
    No the leak happened a few weeks after we bought it. It could have been caused by us but who knows for sure? In the end we bought another new one from another manufacturer rather than paying for the repair. Haven't had any problems with that one.
  • AO want to send an engineer to repair , prior to changing it. 

As its brand new and Faulty on arrival I'm saying I just want them to take it and give me a new one. 

Anyone know if my rights under 2015 consumer act allow for replacement or do I need to give them the option of repair? 

Cheers