Joe Satriani has returned...

What's Hot
New album being released in January, with Glenn Hughes bringing the bottom end and Chad Smith thumping the tubs. 

Interesting. Power trio? Unsure if other musos guest or perform on the whole album but what an interesting power trio they make. Chad & Satch sure know how to groove, but Glenn Hughes, I'd say has a much looser more blues-influenced feel than Chad's funky-influenced drumming and Satch's very groove-oriented approach to playing as well.

Lead single and opening track Energy is out now. The riff's fairly catchy but it doesn't blow me away... but I've always found his "singles" to be underwhelming recently, and the rest of the album is where the goods are. That was very much the case with Shockwave Supernova and Unstoppable Momentum.

I still think the best of his most recent output has been Super Colossal and Black Swans & Wormhole Wizards...

Anyway, I'm sure there's probably mixed feels about Satch. 
Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1473
    New single just popped up on my Spotify Release Radar. Didn't skip it, so it can't have been too bad. 
  • Sounds like I've missed several Satch album releases then!

Will give it a listen at some point. My favourite of his is Crystal Planet
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I was a massive fan from the first album which I bought before anyone knew who he was. Saw him live a couple of times back when he had hair! I liked everything up to Crystal planet. Next came Engines of Creation and that CD BLEW ME AWAY! so creative and exciting. Unfortunately, he went back to the old Satch formula after that. Bought the next 3 CDs but they just felt like Satch by numbers so I gave up. Bought Chickenfoot CDs but didn't gel with them.

I'd be interested to hear the band, but I'm not holding my breath on how appealing I will find them.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    He is 61 years old, never would have guessed it looking at him and his output and abilities, I thought after 60 you were only allowed to play the blues and stones covers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It'll be interesting to hear this Black Country Chilli Chicken recipe. Glenn is really putting about a bit these days. JS is a big hero of mine so I hope it's as good as it should be with that lineup. Nice. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• It'll be interesting to hear this Black Country Chilli Chicken recipe. Glenn is really putting about a bit these days. JS is a big hero of mine so I hope it's as good as it should be with that lineup. Nice. 
    Yup. I think the decider will be whether Satch wrote all of it and Glenn Hughes & Chad Smith just play on it, or, whether they had some input in the writing and performance of the tracks... If they did, it'll be interesting. If they didn't, I fear it may be formulaic business-as-usual Satch.

Interesting to hear... axisus said:
    I was a massive fan from the first album which I bought before anyone knew who he was. Saw him live a couple of times back when he had hair! I liked everything up to Crystal planet. Next came Engines of Creation and that CD BLEW ME AWAY! so creative and exciting. Unfortunately, he went back to the old Satch formula after that. Bought the next 3 CDs but they just felt like Satch by numbers so I gave up. Bought Chickenfoot CDs but didn't gel with them.

I'd be interested to hear the band, but I'm not holding my breath on how appealing I will find them.
    I can't stand Engines of Creation! It's one of my least favourite Satch records... I think it's way too left-field for him. 

My #1 Satch album's "Is There Love in Space?" because it's so beautifully melodic - you can really feel his lead lines "vocalise" words all through that album. And there's two songs where he sings as well which kinda destroys them but also makes a slightly different vibe that keeps the album super interesting, I feel - but each to their own.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Joe Satrini wears white socks and flip flops. At the same time. But even that is tasteful in comparison to his guitar playing. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the heads up.
    Energy didn't grab me at all, unfortunately.
    He should let Glenn Hughes sing.
    Is Glenn still in "California breed"? They were good.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @ThomasRoss20 Wiki says not. Hughes's been busy doing press for the new Black Country Communion release, having buried the hatchet with Joe Bananamonsta.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2017
    Ah ok.. I haven't heard much of their stuff tbh but I saw California breed supporting slash and was very impressed. Shame!
  • Ah ok.. I haven't heard much of their stuff tbh but I saw California breed supporting slash and was very impressed. Shame!
    That would have been a good show... California Breed only made the one album and disbanded, unfortunately. 

Andrew Watt has also been very quiet since the demise of California Breed which is a shame because he's a brilliant guitarist.